If Tom Had Been in the 1996 TV Movie

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

If Tom Had Been in the 1996 TV Movie

Postby ThetaSigma on September 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm

and had a substantial part of it in which he appeared, until he regenerated into Paul McGann (and one not done as what happened with Sylvester McCoy) would fans have watched it in earnest both sides of the ponds, making it an instant hit? :?
ThetaSigma

Re: If Tom Had Been in the 1996 TV Movie

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 25th, 2012, 3:56 pm

It's hard to say. I think some diehards would dislike the lack of continuity in going from Tom to McGann. Personally, I would have been much happier with that arrangement.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on October 25th, 2012, 6:10 pm

While it would have been fun to see Tom in that great Tardis set, I think it would have been jarring to skip backwards, as well as it would have meant another Doctor that never got a regeneration scene, and I'm still bitter that it happened to poor Colin.

Sylvester was a nice enough guy to promise to come back, he deserved to have his scene.

An interesting 'what if' is if Sylvester and Tom traded final stories and we got the 7th in 'Logopolis' and Tom in the TV movie.
tch

Postby Prydonian on October 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

After some consideration, I don't know if I could stand to have Tom in the TV Movie. Not if he was going to go out just the way Sylv McCoy did in it. That would be traumatic, seeing MY Doctor go out like that. :?
Prydonian

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 8th, 2012, 11:10 pm

There is also the tricky problem of Tom having already had his regeneration. The film scriptwriters could no doubt have come up with an explanation for it, but I doubt many fans would buy it.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on November 10th, 2012, 5:00 pm

I thought Paul McGann was lovely in that film but he is simply not as good a doctor as Tom and so he would have been completely overshadowed had Tom been there instead of Sylvester McCoy. Just my humble opinion.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 12th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Betty wrote:I thought Paul McGann was lovely in that film but he is simply not as good a doctor as Tom and so he would have been completely overshadowed had Tom been there instead of Sylvester McCoy. Just my humble opinion.

I think Paul McGann is, in his own way, just as good as Tom, but they are very different types. He (McGann) was superb in Withnail & I. But I think you're right that Tom would overshadow almost anyone because he is such a charismatic presence. And it would have been horrible to see Tom for just 10 mins or so. Whereas, I was happy to see only 10mins of McCoy.
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on November 12th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:And it would have been horrible to see Tom for just 10 mins or so. Whereas, I was happy to see only 10mins of McCoy.

Nicely said :)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years