Stories at Tom's dinner table

Tom likes to think of his Forum as a metaphysical dinner table where friends share stories and ideas. You are invited to join the party.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Stories at Tom's dinner table

Postby Betty on October 31st, 2012, 2:24 am

Hello people! I'm new to this virtual dinner table but I'm enjoying it already. It's some great stories you have here. I don't have any such stories of my own yet. I've only discovered Tom Baker not so long ago. I'm relatively new to Doctor Who (and currently starting to explore the other-than-Doctor-Who part of Tom's work). It's a pity Doctor Who wasn't part of my childhood, but on the other hand, watching it now as a young adult gives me a chance to perhaps see more than what I would have remembered as a child. And it is not just children who need reassurance that everything is going to end well. So what I'm trying to say is that even though Tom is not my childhood hero, he is my hero all the same.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby MCH on October 31st, 2012, 2:39 am

Welcome, Betty. :D
I'm around a four year Whovian. I knew about and saw little tiny glimpses of Who many years ago but it is recently that I saw most of the episodes, old and new. I enjoy them all. I see that you are in the Czech republic. Since we are at the dining room here what are some of your favorite foods and drinks?
MCH

Postby Betty on October 31st, 2012, 2:50 am

Cabbage. Most people think I'm joking when I say this but I really do like the taste. As for drink, probably cider. A bottle of Loïc Raison traditional will do me any time. When I think of it, apart from jelly babies, there isn't much about food in Doctor Who - or am I wrong? It reminds me of some Medieval Welsh texts I'd been reading for university - nothing on food either.
Betty

Postby tracy on October 31st, 2012, 11:15 am

:D welcome to toms dinner table betty enjoy theres plenty to look at and theres the question room to where you can ask tom a question and tomwill reply back
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Betty on October 31st, 2012, 11:21 am

Thanks, Tracy. I looked briefly through some of your pictures with Tom. It's quite a collection you have there.
Betty

Postby MCH on October 31st, 2012, 12:35 pm

I don't mind cabbage. Once in a while my hubby will make some cabbage rolls. I usually eat it in the form of Cole slaw though. As for cider, we recently visited an apple orchard and they had fresh cider. It was wonderful ! I bought some apples and made some apple sauce. It was the first time I made apple sauce. It was very easy to make and is delicious.
I don't recall seeing the Doctor eat much either. Most of the time he declined having a meal with any one. But I think it was to show that he didn't want to get to cozy with people's family life. However, Matt Smith's doctor ate food that was cooked by Amy Pond, and he cooked a meal for the guy that he rented a room from. He talked about learning to cook from people throughout history and of course how he had taught some of them things about cooking as well. I think Tom's Doctor existed on jelly babies. And he never gained weight. :lol:
MCH

Postby Betty on October 31st, 2012, 2:28 pm

It is true that there is a lot of food references with the 11th doctor. Especially the whole fish fingers and custard scene. I also remember the 9th doctor saying that bananas are good. So maybe there is the normal amount of food in the 2005 series but I think the original series had close to none. I wish I could exist on jelly babies but it would probably make me sick very soon. Plus there is no way of buying jelly babies in Prague...

Back to apples & cider: apples are such an awesome fruit because they can be made into so many different things. Apple sauce is definitely in my top 10 meals. Have you tried making salty dishes from apples?
Betty

Postby MCH on November 1st, 2012, 2:56 am

I can't think of a time when I've had salty apples but my memory isn't what it used to be. My all time favorite used to be Carmel apples but I can't have those any more.
Yes, the fish fingers and custard is a famous Doctor food scene. I remember David Tenants Doctor eating nuts and other things to purge a toxin from himself. I guess Tom's Doctor was the only one that snacked on anything in many episodes. No jelly babies here either unless I ordered them online. But that's just as well because I couldn't eat them anyway. ;)
MCH

Postby Betty on November 1st, 2012, 3:09 am

Time to invent salty (and sugar-free) jelly babies? I'd love that.
Betty

Postby tracy on November 1st, 2012, 10:35 am

thank you betty so far ive met tom 12 times i hope you get to meet tom soon he is a great guy to meet :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Dinner Table Talk