Which Episodes Have You Watched Recently?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Which Episodes Have You Watched Recently?

Postby Captain Rum on October 1st, 2012, 1:47 am

I thought Shada was going to be released this year as part of the box set with the "30 years" documentary, I guess that's been put back then? I also got the special edition of "Robots Of Death" and it's worth getting as it has a Tommentary, don't think the original did, although I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Prydonian on October 1st, 2012, 6:04 pm

Captain_Rum-

The original DVD release of "The Robots of Death" did NOT have Tom on the commentary.
It had a rather bland commentary with Philip Hinchcliffe and Chris Boucher.
So you are correct, sir!
I say bland as I listened to it once and was a bit bored with it. This was well before commentaries
got interesting.

And as for Shada, where does it say it wont be out this year? I was rather looking forward to it.
But did anyone ever find out which version it is?
Prydonian

Postby Krono's on October 14th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Canawho wrote:As of today, I'd watched all of Tom's DW stories on the VHS copies that I currently own.
Collected almost all of his stories in the late 90's. The Brain of Morbius was the
first one I had purchased.

Today I'll be watching the "City of death". An absolute classic in my mind!

Tomorrow night, I'll be checking out "Creature from the pit". ;)
Recall the lady villain in it being very pretty.

Bit of an understatement. Lady Adrasta was drop-dead gorgeous!

Anyway, the last Tom DW story I watched was Ark In Space. it's nice to watch episodes like that one, in the middle of the night, when you can't sleep. :P That was last week, I finished Caves Of Androzani early, yesterday evening & am currently two episodes into The Sensorites. So, I've covered a story from each of the three decades of the Classic era WHO in a few days. :D :geek: :ugeek:
Krono's

Postby Prydonian on October 29th, 2012, 10:20 pm

The last episode I watched recently was Terror of the Zygons aka Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster.I was thrilled to see Tom, Ian and Elisabeth Sladen working alongside Nick Courtney and John Levene one final time.
Some classic moments and great one-liners!
Prydonian

Postby BobF on November 17th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I have just watched Brain of Morbius which I purchased at a very reasonable six squid fifty via BBC shop on Tom's site!!!
Brought back lots of great memories of being 8 years old and that wonderful line, "I recognise those stars, I was born around here..." Discovering more history of the character for an avid fan like me back then was pure gold dust and I enjoyed the whole Timelord/Sisterhood thing...
The extras on the DVD showing how the set was built in the studio was a neat touch.I always enjoy seeing the actors years later, some much changed and some not!

I owned nearly every Tom Baker/ Jon Pertwee story on VHS in the 90's and have only recently started buying DVD versions of DW. I may have to plump for Genesis or Talons next....hmmmm decisions (Is Talons available?)

Bob F
BobF

Postby metalheadjay on March 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

You're in luck, Bobf. "Talons" is indeed available and in a special edition too.

Oh, "Brain Of Morbius" is probably my personal favorite Who story(although I consider "Genesis Of The Daleks" to be the absolute greatest story). It is everything that is awesome about "Classic Who"! Just perfect in so many ways.
metalheadjay

Postby Betty on March 13th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Genesis Of The Daleks sure is great. I like how it puts things into perspective, thinking back to the very first Dalek episode. It was hinted there that the Kaleds weren't all that bad but in Genesis, they were actually almost the good guys, which I think is very poetic.

I haven't watched any DW for quite some time - been busy working and/or listening to audios (I have recently undergone a "Nest Cottage marathon" - it's about 16 hours of audio, so perfect for a weekend of knitting :) ), but I'm planning to watch Shada again tonight. It's such a good story.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby metalheadjay on March 28th, 2013, 7:56 am

I don't know if any of you guys do this but I'm a bit of a night owl. And sometimes, when I get the urge. I'll put on one of the Hinchcliffe "gothic era" Who stories late at night. I recently did this with "Brain Of Morbius" and "Horror Of Fang Rock"(I know it was Graham Williams first but it's firmly entrenched in the Hinchcliffe era still). Had great fun and amusement watching them. The atmosphere and music just work so well and create that moody, unsettling feeling of tension, isolation, and suspense. The 1970's were such a great decade because of this. In film AND television. It's hard to replicate that now and they do try. Rob Zombie's take on "Halloween" may have had more back story but I think it royally sucked when it came to those aspects I was speaking of. And don't even attempt to watch "The Fog" remake. It's absolutely horrendous compared to the original. You've been warned, folks.

Yes, "Genesis" is indeed quite poetic. It is the "Ingmar Bergman" masterpiece of Who stories! :D
metalheadjay

Postby Captain Rum on August 13th, 2013, 4:22 am

Terror of the Zygons from the Time Capsule...can't wait to see all the extras on Sept 30th! :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years