Doctor Who 50th Anniversary

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in September to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary

Postby metalheadjay on September 18th, 2012, 6:11 am

Hello Tom,

Is there any truth to the rumors that you will be participating in the 50th Anniversary of "Doctor Who"? I only ask because if you were to participate, I would wish there to be a great script and a huge role that you play. After all, we can't just have merely a cameo from the greatest and definitive doctor! Actually, your own one-off special would be ultra cool. To have you back on screen as the doctor in a full feature of your own would be a dream come true, sir. I may be stroking your ego a bit here but all the other actors to play the doctor have paled greatly in comparison to you.

Hail to the king!

Jay
metalheadjay

Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary

Postby Tom Baker on September 30th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Dear Jay,

Steady, steady. Nobody has asked me to take part in any celebration so far. But not everybody has your enthusiasm for those long gone days. It is possible the new creators were not even born when I was the Doctor. And there have been so many others. I was at an event about six months ago and there were about nine old Doctors. Not as old as I am of course, but not young either. I found them to be very nice, though as usual there was no time to talk. And the same goes for the fans. There is never any time, just hello, a smile and an autograph; a bit sad really.

I remember once rejecting a script, "The Five Doctors", I think. And they just used a figure from Madame Tussauds, a waxwork! I got some very good reviews and was paid too. Nobody noticed the dummy played me! Very chastening. If the dummy still exists the BBC could repeat the joke for the 50th celebrations. The BBC often repeats jokes. Come to think of it, that must be the reason they haven't asked me. Once a dummy always a dummy as Lord Reith might have said.

Waxily yours, Jay,

Tom Baker
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for September 2012