Favourite TV Shows

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Favourite TV Shows

Postby philipdalton on September 11th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on the latest series of 'Doctor Who'?
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Who dat? on September 11th, 2012, 9:02 pm

It's very action oriented, which I like a lot, but I'm not a huge fan of all the CGI. I much prefer the days of Tom where most of the monsters were people in costume, not all but most. And of course, there's no Tom in the new stuff. I watched Masque of Mandragora this weekend while up at a friends summer cabin in the woods.
Pat
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby tch on September 12th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I enjoy it.
Never met a Doctor I didn't like and it got my kids hooked. So, then I got to show them all the old stuff.

I do miss the four and six part stories, but have really enjoyed what Davies and Moffat have done and all three new Doctors have been excellent.
It tries new stuff, but at the same times does things that are classic Who.
tch

Postby philipdalton on September 13th, 2012, 11:37 am

Does anyone have an opinion on the Peter Davison era in the eighties, which began with "Castrovalva" & ended with "The Caves of Androzani"?
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby tch on September 13th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Really enjoyed his era. It was different from Tom's, but some really good stories and ideas. Plus, it's the last time we had more than 'girl from now' companions for a long time.

Liked his Doctor, thought they over used the Master and loved seeing the Brig come back.
tch

Postby nick and jan on October 5th, 2012, 9:59 pm

"dads army and doctor who
nick and jan

Postby tch on October 13th, 2012, 5:19 am

Now, I know we all love Tom's era, but what other Doctor's do people enjoy watching?

I've recently become a big fan of the Hartnell years thanks to DVD. Be a lot of fun watching the shows mythology being built.

My son really loves Sylvester Mccoy, so I've been re-watching them with him and gaining a new appreciation for the seventh Doctor and Ace. His first season was rough, but I liked how it developed.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 12th, 2012, 6:12 pm

tch wrote:Now, I know we all love Tom's era, but what other Doctor's do people enjoy watching?

I've recently become a big fan of the Hartnell years thanks to DVD. Be a lot of fun watching the shows mythology being built.

My son really loves Sylvester Mccoy, so I've been re-watching them with him and gaining a new appreciation for the seventh Doctor and Ace. His first season was rough, but I liked how it developed.

I like Troughton, Pertwee, Tom (of course!), and Colin Baker. Troughton is very underrated, I think. Perhaps because so few of his stories still remain. The Mind Robber is superb -- it's Dr Who at its most inventive and literary.

I cannot abide McCoy's doctor, or the general style of the show at that time. But I can see why it might appeal particularly to younger viewers. Davison is a good actor but was too insipid for the part.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby bonita4k2p on February 7th, 2013, 2:31 am

I only have 22 channels on my television since it is too expensive to have over 70 channels on. Most I don't watch, anyway. I enjoy Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Four Weddings, Untold stories of the ER, and a few others. Some are reruns. I watch various DVDS and Amazon's Instant Videos online and I listen to Audio Dramas of Doctor Who and Dark Shadows. I like Star Trek, MacGyver, Stargate(series), Twilight Zone, old movies, retro tv series (1970's). :mrgreen:
bonita4k2p

Postby Betty on February 7th, 2013, 10:34 am

Nice list there, bonita4k2p. I wonder, is Law and Order: Criminal Intent much like Criminal Minds or does it have more action or something? I'm looking for something new to watch but I'm very picky.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music