Do you think comedy has healing power, Tom?

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in August to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Do you think comedy has healing power, Tom?

Postby metalheadjay on August 11th, 2012, 2:05 am

Hi, Tom

I would like to hear your views on the overwhelming power of comedy. It is often said by many that "Comedy is the best medicine". I don't know about that but there has been research studies that show laughter is quite beneficial to a persons health and well-being. I'm a huge fan of comedy myself and think it takes a tremendous amount of talent to perform. I especially adore the comedy that not only makes me laugh but think critically as well. Stand-up Comedians such as George Carlin and Bill Hicks were always so impressive to me. Primarily, because they were social critics and philosophers that used comedy to make people think about what was going on around them. And they were so good with words...as if they memorized the entire dictionary and the meaning of every word contained within. Did you ever see any of George Carlin's HBO comedy specials, Tom?(his views on religion, politics, and media manipulation might amuse you) Anyway, I just think comedy is such a wonderful artform.

By the way, your doctor was the funniest and had the most substance to boot. A great achievement on your part, Tom. After all, it is YOUR stories I still watch and enjoy the most!

Jay
metalheadjay

Re: Do you think comedy has healing power, Tom?

Postby Tom Baker on August 29th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Dear Jay,

My mother, who could tell a tall tale at the drop a tear assured me I was born gurgling. Finding most of what passes for life to have been incomprehensible, and still is, all I have tried to do is laugh at my fears. What fears? Well, waking up, getting out of bed, thinking of life going on, thinking of life not going on. And now that I have a lovely pair of Doc Martin's brown boots I discover I can't get them on without getting dizzy. So my wife helps me on with them the night before I leave for London. Have you ever tried to get a good night's sleep in a bed wearing Doc Martin's boots? Don't, for one thing they make having a shower tricky.

What else can I do but laugh? Fortunately my wife is very very clever and often explains things to me.

All the best from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for August 2012