50th Celebrations

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: 50th Celebrations

Postby tracy on July 4th, 2012, 9:22 am

:D same here ive not seen dr who since tom left so when they ask tom to do the 50th anniversary show then id see it but only if tom is in it :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on July 4th, 2012, 11:23 am

When I heard about Diana Rigg my first thought was 'cool!' and my second was 'Rani'.
My son was envisioning a Doctor Who/Mrs Peel team up, but I had to break it to him gently that odds are she wouldn't be wearing the catsuit.
Whatever she does, I'm sure she'll be great.
tch

Postby bcm77 on July 10th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Whatever happens for the 50th Anniversary on TV I will ignore it because I have serious doubts as to whether the present production team would treat Tom and the other Classic era actors with the respect they deserve.

Steven Moffat & co have regularly treated the Classic era with disdain on DVD extras so any change in attitude for the 50th Anniversary will just come across as hypocrisy.

Were it up to me I'd do 4-part serials for Doctors 5-8, a 6 parter for Tom and a 30 second clip for 10 & 11.
( Christopher Eccleston is extremely unlikely to return. )
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby ThetaSigma on July 13th, 2012, 2:26 am

I was unaware Steven Moffat held any disdain for past Doctor Who. Could you elaborate?
ThetaSigma

Postby bcm77 on July 16th, 2012, 12:33 am

ThetaSigma wrote:I was unaware Steven Moffat held any disdain for past Doctor Who. Could you elaborate?

Years before the TV revival he did an interview where he trashed pretty much the entire Classic era except for Peter Davison's run, even going as far to say that he was embarassed to admit to people that he ever liked it.

He has since tried to suggest he was joking in that interview but if you watch any of his appearances on Classic DVD extras he seems to look down his nose at it quite a bit especially on the "City of Death" extras where he's quite scathing about the work Douglas Adams did on the show.

A small part of me still wants to get excited about the BBC's plans but at this point I am considerably more intrested in what Big Finish are planning as I already gave up on televised Who during the last series.

As Tom never appeared in a multi-Doctor story on TV it would be great if Big Finish can do their own "5 Doctors" story with 4-8 as I'd love to hear how Tom's Doctor would interact with his later selves.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby metalheadjay on September 18th, 2012, 6:30 am

And here is the ironic thing. Moffat is the last person that should be criticizing Classic Who and the work Douglas Adams did on the show! Considering his contributions to the modern series that is. Perhaps he's just jealous that many prefer to watch "City Of Death" for the millionth time as opposed to any of the stories from the modern series! And who in their right mind would prefer the Davison era over the era's of the first 4 doctors?!(especially Tom's first three seasons) A few good stories but that's it. Moffat is no better than John Nathan-Turner or Davies. Could we PLEASE get a qualified person to produce this show already?!
metalheadjay

Postby tch on September 18th, 2012, 11:22 am

I don't know about interviews, I tend to judge a person on the actual work they've done, and while I will never be a big River Song fan, I have enjoyed the Moffat era.
Mat Smith was a great choice for Doctor and there have been some solid shows.
If there is disdain, I don't really see it in the show itself.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on September 19th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I like where the show seems to be going with the current series and have enjoyed the three episodes so far broadcast. But I want past Doctors and some companions thrown into the mix for some stand-alone stories.Figure we will not be getting another Five Dotors-style special but Moff says several special ideas throughout the anniversary season. So let's get Tom and the others involved! I am worried as Paul McGann said in an interview conducted this past summer that he had not been contacted by the BBC regarding doing a new episode, and that the only people who call on him to play the 8th Doctor are Big Finish!
ThetaSigma

Postby Danny Fullbrook on September 30th, 2012, 11:47 pm

bcm77 wrote:
ThetaSigma wrote:I was unaware Steven Moffat held any disdain for past Doctor Who. Could you elaborate?

Years before the TV revival he did an interview where he trashed pretty much the entire Classic era except for Peter Davison's run, even going as far to say that he was embarassed to admit to people that he ever liked it.

He has since tried to suggest he was joking in that interview but if you watch any of his appearances on Classic DVD extras he seems to look down his nose at it quite a bit especially on the "City of Death" extras where he's quite scathing about the work Douglas Adams did on the show.

Like a lot of people back then he ripped into Who. Everybody did. You should see the fans on most fan sites. Never happy with anything ever. Since then he has sung praises for Douglas Adams, tweeting how he's not worthy to watch his stuff. City of Death is Stevens favourite episode, he often talks in interviews about how perfect it is.

I feel a lot of the people slaughtering Moffat's writing haven't even watched an episode (not you, but a good portion). Blink is probably always one for people to try and watch. Probably the best modern Who episode. But never has the show had any disdain for the past. Often The Doctor proudly talks about his past with some references (but not too many to confuse new viewers).

Tom himself has already 'appeared' several times, The Doctor has played video clips of past regenerations to explain who he is a few times. Then in one episode The Doctor had a clone go into shock and the clone held out his arm and in Tom Bakers voice said "Would you like a Jelly Baby?". Peter Davison even played The Doctor in a special episode where he meets The Tenth Doctor and they joke about companions and The Masters silly beards. Even more recently The Doctor showed sadness over Adrics death. The Brigadier was set to make several appearances but Nicholas Courtney kept falling ill, The Brigidiers death even had a hard hit on The Doctor causing him to accept his companions eventually aren't there. We even met the Brigs daughter. The Master when dying spoke about all his great battles with The Doctor and sound clips of all the past Masters could be heard before he regenerated. The Doctor has accidently used an old library card with William Hartnells face on it. He recently named a horse after Susan. Sarah Jane had a massive return to the show- several times. So did Jo Grant. The most recent Dalek episode actually had Daleks from the Tom Baker years covered in dust and abandoned in the dark going mad- and references to all The Doctors past battles with them by naming the planets he faced them. When The Doctor became a human to hide from some aliens hunting his genetic code he had nightmares where he was remembering his Time Lord life and when he drew his nightmares one of the pictures was of old Tom and the other Doctors. Last series The Doctor recited the Patrick Troughton line from The Five Doctors "You've redecorated- I don't like it". Davros reminisced about the first time he met Sarah Jane and The Doctor. The episode The TARDIS is stolen and put inside a person we get a ton of references to the classic series and how unreliable the TARDIS is. Another episode included a brief flash back to the fourth Doctor and was originally going to contain an appearance from Meglos.

There are a tone of other constant references and call backs to the old series holding it in high esteem and joking when it was a bit naff. Even the last 6 years of the show get picked on. :P

So this idea the team have forgotten it or hold it in disdain is dead silly. Will we see Tom in the 50th? I imagine so. He did the role the longest and is most well know Doctor in history. They've already hinted that Moffat has had lunch with Tennant so bringing back old Doctors is on the cards already. I imagine Tom would be next on the list. Rumours have been circulating for quite some time that Omega is returning which is perfect for the multi-doctor story. But The Master and Davros have also been absent for some time. Moffat himself is a highly capable writer who wrote what many consider the best Doctor Who episodes of the recent series and reinvented the show with Matt Smith to bring it closer to how it was in the 70's and 80's and a Doctor that acts more alien than the last few. I'm sure if Tom was shown a script he would be very impressed with how clever Moffat is with time travel and scaring the heck out of children and genius one liners. I'm sure they'd all be up for it. Especially as Colin Baker and Sly still watch and love the show more than ever. And Peter is still so closely involved with both Tennant and Moffat (appearing in one of his Doctor Who stories AND Sherlock). I think the only actor who possibly wouldn't be up for being involved is Christopher Eccleston who was very upset with how he was treated on set though has since been hinting he wants to do more and appreciates Moffats work.

I think even if we don't get The Doctors in an episode together there will be countless guest appearances on shows like Buzzcocks, The Chase, Have I got News for You. Next year Doctor Who will be everywhere in all it's forms.
Danny Fullbrook

Postby Prydonian on October 1st, 2012, 1:34 am

I am sure I speak for some here when I say I just want Tom to get this amazing script, one he will go nuts for, and do a guest appearance opposite the current incumbant and whomever else wants to take part and that the powers that be can get to come back for a special episode or three. Moff has hinted he wants to do more than just one grand special. He wants to do a series of specials with different storylines and guest cast, so I assume he will definitely want Tom the greatest of all DOctors involved. I hope so at any rate. Remember, there is still time to get him to appear, the anniversary date is not for another year.
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years