Who Else Owns 'The Tom Baker Years?'

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Who Else Owns 'The Tom Baker Years?'

Postby ThetaSigma on November 23rd, 2011, 12:57 am

Who besides me owns the rare 'Tom Baker Years' Videotape that features Tom sitting and watching various clips of all his televised adventures?
ThetaSigma

Re: Who Else Owns 'The Tom Baker Years?'

Postby tracy on November 23rd, 2011, 10:15 am

:D me its really great and i dont intend on selling it as its for keeps as i have transferd it on to dvd disc ages ago but im still keeping the video
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on November 23rd, 2011, 11:10 am

I've got it! Had it for about 20 years now, think it would cost you a small fortune if you tried to find it now. It's a really great watch as Tom is seeing clips he's never seen since he filmed them and his reactions to them are fascinating. I love his story of when he had just left the series and gone to get his hair cut short - when he walked out the hairdressers no-one recognized him.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 26th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I used to own the video cassette but threw it away after my video machine went crazy and started chewing up all my tapes.

I can't believe this hasn't been made available on DVD. I mean, the programme has already been made, it's not as though it's likely to cost a fortune to release. And they must know it will sell.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby ThetaSigma on February 29th, 2012, 2:49 am

I still have mine in my cabinet with my other Who dvds and vhses. :D
I agree they should give it a dvd release as it would sell like hotcakes. :P
ThetaSigma

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 1st, 2012, 12:49 am

ThetaSigma wrote:I still have mine in my cabinet with my other Who dvds and vhses. :D
I agree they should give it a dvd release as it would sell like hotcakes. :P

Yes, and it's quite a long programme, too, so would be well worth buying again. I love the fact that he often remembers so little--it's far funnier than if he had it all perfectly pre-planned. And his laughter when something amusing happens on screen brings it all to life. I often used to put that video on in the background while I was working if I was having a trying day!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby ThetaSigma on March 1st, 2012, 6:47 pm

Me too, I would out on a Who video in the background while cleaning the old house where I used to live. Many wonderous memories. :lol:
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 2nd, 2012, 4:39 pm

Can you say "Holy grail of Doctor Who"? That's what I consider this two tape set to be. It's as if Tom is sitting in your living room with you watching clips from all his stories and commenting. Does it get any better than that? My question is..when are they gonna release it on DVD?!
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm

metalheadjay wrote:Can you say "Holy grail of Doctor Who"? That's what I consider this two tape set to be. It's as if Tom is sitting in your living room with you watching clips from all his stories and commenting. Does it get any better than that? My question is..when are they gonna release it on DVD?!

Precisely. When indeed.

I wonder whether Tom would be able to do a commentary track on it -- that would be weird!
Graceful Leonard

Postby Doctor John Smith on June 19th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Yep - I have this wonderful piece of video history - love the way Tom says "Cassette"!
:D
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years