Leela

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Leela

Postby Prydonian on May 18th, 2011, 3:18 am

Yeh I wonder why that was especially for a supposed enlightened time like the 70s. :D
Prydonian

Postby Savannah_Jim on May 21st, 2011, 9:12 pm

The Blue Peter Interview that is on my VHS copy of The Face of Evil featuring Louise Jameson shows a young woman whose professionalism towards her acting career displays what every traditionally trained actor could hope to achieve. She recognized the potentially exploitive aspect of Leela's costume but endorsed the producers' motivation of getting the dads to sit down and watch the shows too, presumably with their kids. Her approach to her character and the seriousness with which she played someone who most would take for eye-candy (indeed she was :shock: but not just only) was to me, the hallmark of the 4th Doctor era. She took her role in the Whoniverse as seriously as did Tom; he demanded it. I don't mean that it was all seriousness but that the place they worked was not in studios or on location, but in the TARDIS - traveling in time and space. That to me is why the "flimsy sets" and rubber monster costumes have never even fazed me. That world is real for The Doctor and companions. Who am I to judge? Thanks to the Beeb and 2|Entertain for rescuing all of the classic series episodes that they have and continue to do.
And Rose doesn’t even belong to the same class as Leela. But then, Christopher who?
Savannah_Jim

Postby Prydonian on May 21st, 2011, 9:32 pm

Rose doesn't even belong in the same class as Sarah Jane. That much is a given. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, friend Jim. It is greatly appreciated! :D
Prydonian

Postby Savannah_Jim on May 22nd, 2011, 6:26 pm

Oh, so right! I just viewed "The Seeds oj Doom", a six-parter I had never before seen. Sara Jane is so charming. (And intelligable ;)) She (Lis) is greatly missed, bless her. It is like a form of time-travel though. That story ends where it began, Antarctica, with she and the Time-lord laughing about being time-looped -"Have we been here before or are we yet to come?" I love that I know there are advetures I have yet to see and that I can watch my favorites, episodes and actors, over and again. I have seen "The Arc in Space" and "Talons" so many times, I FEEl LOOPED! And not to be to sycophantic, but Tom Baker captured the dottiness, the impishness, the dandiness and all the best of his predecessors. Not been done since. Mr. Smith is doing a nice job at the madness but he is less the all-in-all of #4.
Best show in the Universe. I am glad to have joined this community
Savannah_Jim

Postby tracy on May 22nd, 2011, 6:51 pm

:D hi there savanna jim welcome to toms dinner table
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on May 22nd, 2011, 11:04 pm

Welcome, welcome Savannah Jim! Pull yourself out a chair and have a seat.
Prydonian

Postby Peterdalek on May 26th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Although Sarah Jane was my companion, Leela easily follows a close 2nd.

I was 7 when she appeared in Doctor Who and this was the first realisation for me as a male that I liked womens legs, especially hers.

Thank you Leela

Peter ;)
Peterdalek

Postby MCH on May 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Well said Savannah Jim and welcome!

Although I must say that Tom had three predecessors and Matt has eleven. That's a lot of personalities to cover, lol.

In seeing people post about their childhood experiences with Doctor Who I feel sad that I didn't have that when I was young. I've only seen them as an adult. No teenage crushing or hiding behind sofas. Alas, I was a deprived child. :lol:

Sarah Jane was a really awesome companion.

MCH
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on July 16th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Sarah Jane(Lis Sladen) is my favorite companion followed by Romana 1(Mary Tamm).
metalheadjay

Postby Xplorer#83 on June 2nd, 2012, 8:38 pm

Ah! Louise Jameson (Leela) was one of my three favorite of the Companions. I have to include Janet Fielding (Tegan) and of course the late Lis Sladen (Sarah Jane).

I too was in love with Leela from that first episode to the last.
Xplorer#83

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years