Re: Welcome to the Tom Baker Years

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Postby Captain Rum on November 4th, 2009, 12:03 pm

bcm77 wrote:Back on topic ( At last! ) I think one of the major factors why Tom's Doctor captivated me upon my very first viewing was his wonderful voice, it carries so much authority and there's such conviction in what he's saying that even the scientific gobbledegook seemed to sound plausible and I think Jon Culshaw was right when he said it's the best voice in the world :)

I'll go along with all of that, I'm glad DT is popular as The Doctor as it promotes the show in a good way and opens it up to the few people old and young who might not have seen any of the Classic series, or maybe not seen it since it was first on TV. Considering when it was being made in the 70s most of it holds up extremely well and lets face it if it's written and acted well then you don't notice an occasional wobbly set :D

Had "The Kepper Of Traken" on last night and that's a classic example of young and older actors all playing their parts brilliantly....it has a fantastic commentary too.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby bcm77 on November 4th, 2009, 8:58 pm

I watched "City of Death" last night which for me contains some of the best humour the show has ever seen thanks to a great script from the much missed Douglas Adams and some fine performances from the actors.

My favorite scene is the one where the Doctor, Romana & the hapless detective Duggan get brought in to see the Countess as Tom gets in some priceless lines including "What a wonderful butler. He's so violent!" and "You're a beautiful woman. Probably" :D
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Captain Rum on November 5th, 2009, 5:57 am

City of Death would be the perfect starting point for someone who hasn't seen Tom or Classic Dr Who before as it has it all, action, adventure, time travel, history and plenty of humour.....and of course a fantastic setting in Paris.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 11:10 am

Yeah, City of Death is easily my favourite Tom Baker story.

It's got it all, a brilliantly imaginative plot, the gorgeous Parisian backdrop, Tom and Lalla at the top of their game, a terrific supporting cast (particularly Julian Glover), and positively stacks of humour and one liners.

You feel as if everyone involved in the production has gone up a gear, and the results are plain to see.
John

Postby Jedi Princess on November 9th, 2009, 2:50 am

Tom was my first Doctor, and so he will always be MY Doctor :) No other Doctor can even come close to his level of awesomness (though David Tennant does his best, and he is my second favorite). I fell in love with his eccentricity, his craziness, his grin.....pretty much everything! I even took up knitting so that I could make a scarf like his :D He was superb in every Doctor Who story he ever did, no matter how bad some of the scripts were. He is THE Doctor for me, and always will be :)
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby merlinsseer on November 10th, 2009, 8:18 am

Jedi Princess wrote: I even took up knitting so that I could make a scarf like his

OH Princess knits ! i've always wondered about knitting , never had the time to take it up as a hobby or knew anyone that did it that could teach me. is it as frustrating to do as it looks ? The closest I've come to knitting is making chainmalle, that's sort of like knitting ( i think ), only it involves lots and lots of little metal rings and pliers instead of yarn and knitting needles :lol:
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby tracy on November 10th, 2009, 10:11 am

:D had ago my self years ago didnt get very far as i wasnt good at it maybe one day i will try and have a nother go just maybe :roll:
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Jedi Princess on November 10th, 2009, 2:07 pm

merlinsseer wrote:
OH Princess knits ! i've always wondered about knitting , never had the time to take it up as a hobby or knew anyone that did it that could teach me. is it as frustrating to do as it looks ? The closest I've come to knitting is making chainmalle, that's sort of like knitting ( i think ), only it involves lots and lots of little metal rings and pliers instead of yarn and knitting needles :lol:

Chain mail is so much more interesting than knitting (which I soon gave up, by the way....I didn't have the patience for it!) :D
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby JulietCatherine on November 30th, 2009, 4:59 am

I wanted to make a comment on this thread too, and how much joy Tom Baker brought me as a child and of course the age I am now. Because, I haven’t kept up with Doctor Who for many years now, and I have no interest in the other actors who portrayed the lead in Doctor Who. I have not collected any Doctor Who merchandise yet, including any episodes of the Doctor Who box sets, or even one segment of Doctor Who, I have nothing! Hey Merlinsseer, I hope you will get to see all of them. I have forgotten most of them, because I haven’t seen them recently. I am watching episodes of Doctor Who the Tom Baker’s years through the internet right now, when I have the money to buy the entire collection on DVD I will do so, or hopefully on Blue Ray. Just kidding don’t have Blue Ray! On episode “Underworld.” When I was a little child, I couldn’t not enjoy Doctor Who as much as I do now, because I wanted to treat Doctor Who as a logical show, which it wasn’t, it was an illogical show. What I mean Doctor Who catered to children mostly, and my thought process was more adult than childlike. Yes, like most of you, I thought and think Tom Baker portrayal of the Doctor was just so much fun, and he was so energetic as the Doctor Who, and so childlike. Tom Baker is so likeable! I agree with Toothy Grin! Hey I agree with Pattie Anne too! Wow, I agree with all of you. All I can say is wow! Wouldn’t all the female fans like to comfort the Doctor (Tom Baker) when he pouts, worries, is scared, or etc. I for one would. As the Doctor he is kind and childlike! What can I say Tom Baker as the Doctor is just so precious! I am a fan, who has a childhood crush on Tom Baker. I am happy that Tom Baker has portrayed the Doctor in the television series Doctor Who. I am happy to read all of his fans’ comments too. Thank you (Moderators and Tom Baker) for letting us (fans) post our thoughts. I hope I didn’t make the moderators or Tom Baker angry with me, sorry if I did. I have only respect for Tom Baker. And Tom Baker is a talented actor!
Juliet
Happy Holidays
Houston Texas USA
JulietCatherine

Postby jrsilvestri on December 7th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the board, but as it is plainly obvious, I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker run of the show.

Every week there would be a new number two, and ol' Tom here would have to outsmart...

Wait, that was Patrick McGoohan...

Oh, I remember now, Tom was the guy behind that desk, telling us to expect something completely...

No, that was John Cleese..

OH RIGHT!

The Doctor.

The performance of Tom Baker throughout his run as the Doctor always brings a smile to my face. Thanks again! Favorite serial has to be The Ribos Operation... at least so far. The beginning of The Doctor and Romana playing off each other is just funny and fantastic stuff to watch. Still getting through the rest of the serials... (I haven't got thru all of them yet)
jrsilvestri

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years