Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Postby ThetaSigma on March 2nd, 2012, 10:42 pm

Have to admit I am most fond of Tom's work with Louise Jameson as Leela. That era of '77-'78 was just perfect and full of nostaligia for me. This is why I believe I will really like the Big Finish CD's they are putting out this year.
I just can't do marathons of watching stories in order, I watch any of Dr Who based on what appeals to me at the moment.
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 8th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I think Louise Jameson is a wonderful person. But I never cared for the character of "Leela". Too savage and primitive(always wanting to kill!). Although, I did like the aspect of the Doctor teaching and educating her(we didn't get enough of it though). However, my favorite companions of Tom's will always be Sarah Jane Smith and Romana 1.
metalheadjay

Postby ThetaSigma on March 12th, 2012, 12:59 am

Hey metal, I can totally respect that. I am fond of Leela as I feel she has been tragically underrated in today's modern society of the Doctor always getting a present-day girl to be his companion. Leela is something else and they did try something different with her. The new Big Finish audios give the Doctor even more of a mentor role than the TV stories did. I recommend them.
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 14th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Yeah, I hear you. Now, if I had to pick Leela or any of the Doctor's companions after Romana 1. I would most certainly take Leela, no doubt about it.
metalheadjay

Postby ThetaSigma on March 20th, 2012, 10:26 pm

You don't think the later companions work? :mrgreen:
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 26th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Just prefer the teacher/student relationship between the 4th Doctor and Leela compared to what came after Romana 1. I liked Rose(Billie Piper) though. I can imagine how great Tom and her would have been together.
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 9th, 2012, 4:25 pm

metalheadjay wrote:I think Louise Jameson is a wonderful person. But I never cared for the character of "Leela". Too savage and primitive(always wanting to kill!). Although, I did like the aspect of the Doctor teaching and educating her(we didn't get enough of it though). However, my favorite companions of Tom's will always be Sarah Jane Smith and Romana 1.

I'm with you 100% on that. I thought Louise Jameson was terrific in The Omega Factor series, but Leela didn't do it for me, and it would have been difficult to accept anyone else after Sarah Jane. Her exit broke my heart as kid :oops:
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years