To Tom

Talk about Tom (and Sue, Poppy and the cats)

Moderator: Moderator

To Tom

Postby Jedi Princess on November 14th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Dear Mr. Baker,
I don't know if you'll reply to this, but I know you'll probably read it anyway :)I just want to tell you how wonderful you were as the Doctor, and how awesome you yourself are :) Pyramids of Mars was my first Doctor Who story, and I fell in love with your Doctor and the show while watching it. I was hooked! I've seen almost all of your stories now, and I love them a lot. No one can match the awesomness of your Doctor. Ever :) A couple years ago, I had to have three major surgeries on my brain and my back. I used your Doctor Who stories to fight the agonizing pain. Mom would put on the DVD player, and because I couldn't see the tv from the position I had to lay in because of the incisions, I'd just listen to them over and over. I'd also gotten into the habit of telling your stories to myself over and over, sometimes putting myself in the story along with the other characters. My mom tells me that when I came out of surgery, I was telling the story of "Ark in Space" to her and the doctors and nurses, even though I was still unconcious. Whenever I couldn't handle the pain and they couldn't give me any more medication for fear of an overdose, my mom would hold my hand and ask me to tell her one of my stories. So, half unconcious, I retold "Pyramids of Mars", "Talons of Weng-Chiang", "Robots of Death," "Horror of Fang Rock," "City of Death," and a few others. I even told her some that I made up, adventures where I travelled with your Doctor. It kept me from thinking about the intense pain I was in. I firmly believe that that helped me pull through a very difficult and painful time. So thank you for that :)

I've read some of your book, listened to your commentaries, and read what you've said on here, among other things. You're a truly lovely man, Mr. Baker. May God bless you :)

I live in Texas right now, but I hope to be able to go to England one day and meet you. I don't know when that will happen, since I still have almost 5 years of schooling to go through, but, Lord willing and the river don't rise, I am gonna make it :) I hope to be able to get your autograph when I get there....it's something I've been hoping to get for years now. Soplease don't go anywhere until I have a chance to make it to a convention in the UK :D

May the Lord bless you and keep you, and may His face shine down upon you and give you peace!

Your Texan fan,
Sabrina
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Re: To Tom

Postby jimthal on November 26th, 2009, 10:36 am

Tom, I have been told that you once wanted to play James Bond! I think you would have played it in a VERY different way. Is this a true tale?

When I bought your book 'Who on Earth is Tom Baker' I absolutely loved it, it is my second favourite book (after Lord of the rings, I'm sure you'll excuse that!) I would like say that my wife Mary, now sadly deceased, decided to read it a few years later and she chuckled all the way through, especially as she was a lapsed catholic. I thank you for that. I remarried in May this year and am trying to persuade my new wife, Denise, to read it. I hope she does!
jimthal

Return to About Tom