Fourth Doctor Action Figures

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Fourth Doctor Action Figures

Postby Toothy Grin on November 11th, 2011, 11:57 am

What do people think of the various action figures made of the Fourth Doctor? And does anyone have any? There have been more made of Tom than any of the other Doctors. So far I believe there are:
A Season 12 Tom (with short red jacket)
A "Sontaran Experiment" Tom (with large brown overcoat)
A "Pyramids Of Mars" Tom
A "Seeds of Doom" Tom
A "Destiny of the Daleks" Tom
A "City of Death" Tom
and a Season 18 Tom (the burgundy outfit)
My favourite is probably the Pyramids of Mars version as it looks the most accurate. The season 12 one is also very accurate as is Seeds of Doom. However, the Destiny of the Daleks figure has Tom wearing his scarf tightly round his neck which is wrong (he worse it loosely round his shoulders then), the City of Death figure seems to have the wrong colours in his scarf and is missing the little artists palette badge he had on his lapel and the Season 18 figure is missing the waistcoat and the question marks on his collars. (the face sculpt is very good though, showing Tom looking older as he did in season 18 with little flecks of grey in his hair).
My ideal Tom figure would be a season 16 version as I always think of this look most whenever I think of Tom.
Toothy Grin

Re: Fourth Doctor Action Figures

Postby MCH on November 11th, 2011, 1:45 pm

I have two of them. You can see the one in pictures I posted on this site. Go to the fan community to photos and talk about them to doctor who modulators. That action figure is the one that has two different heads. A serious head and a smiling head, lol. Another one I have has k9 with him and he is dressed in reds. I had to have a doctor with k9. I've collected many of the DW action figures but not much of the other stuff.
I never noticed that Tom had "flecks of grey hair" in his latter episodes. You really know your Who inside and out.
MCH

Postby Toothy Grin on November 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

MCH wrote:I never noticed that Tom had "flecks of grey hair" in his latter episodes. You really know your Who inside and out.

I guess I do! Yes, if you look carefully his hair is clearly starting to go grey in his last few stories. It's especially noticeable in Warriors' gate I think.
Toothy Grin

Postby Toothy Grin on November 28th, 2011, 10:29 am

Yet another Tom figure is due for release in a Keeper Of Traken set. This has Tom without his coat or scarf for some reason (he only appears like this for about 2 mins at the end), but you get to see his lovely waistcoat. There's also a decayed Master, the Melkur, the Master's grandfather clock TARDIS and the Source Manipulator to go with it. Really pleased as "Traken" is one of my favourite stories.
Toothy Grin

Postby bcm77 on December 24th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I have most of the CO figures of Tom and think they're great although not without a few issues namely,

Most of the stock paintjobs on the headsculpts are poor, particularly the eyebrows which are usually far too thick and the wrong color.

Several figures have also been released with innacurate attires for the episode they were meant to be from eg,

The figure included with the TARDIS was supposed to be a "Planet of Evil" version. It was actually no different to the series 12 version released in Classic wave 1 and the 4th Doctor Adventure Set.

What makes the mistake baffling is that the correct waistcoat had already been tooled for the "Pyramids of Mars" figure. I bought extras of both and did the part swap which resulted in this,

A similar kind of mistake was made with the figure released in both the "Sontaran Experiment" & "Genesis of the Daleks" sets so once again I had to do some part swapping.

As the Classic figures are sold as increasingly expensive, collector store exclusives I find these mistakes a lot harder to overlook and in the past year I felt the overall quality of the line has declined to the point where I
didn't think they were worth the asking price and I recently sold the majority of my collection.

I'll keep my figures of Tom though as I'm going to get a customiser friend to repaint the heads for me which will really add to how good they look.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby ThetaSigma on February 29th, 2012, 3:06 am

The local toy store here has carried Dr Who figures in the past but sadly no Tom. :cry:
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 2nd, 2012, 5:04 pm

How can you sell Doctor Who figures and have no Tom?! That's utter sacrilege!
metalheadjay

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years