Tom Transplanted

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Transplanted

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 12th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Have you ever watched a Dr Who story from another doctor's era and thought Tom would have been brilliant in this?

I watched Patrick Troughton's Mind Robber the other day. Much as I loved Pat T, I felt this story would have been absolutely perfect for Tom, especially considering his later Book Tower work.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Tom Transplanted

Postby ThetaSigma on February 12th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Yes, I can see that, I'm down with that. What about Tom in The War Games? I would say what about The Caves of Androzani, but that story is way too serious to be a Tom Baker Who episode. :lol:
ThetaSigma

Postby Toothy Grin on February 12th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Well, a few of the stories in Peter Davison's first series were actually written before Tom left assuming he would still be the Doctor, I think Kinda and The Visitation were certainly written with Tom in mind.
Toothy Grin

Postby ThetaSigma on February 12th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Kinda I can well believe was written for Tom, but would he have been so casual about leaving a companion off by herself (Tegan) at the mercy of the Mara? A full series with Tom and Adric could have worked, or one with both him and Nyssa. But I can't believe he would have enjoyed himself as he has stated there were too many people running around the Tardis by the time that he left! :lol:
ThetaSigma

Postby tch on February 13th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Couple that came to mind:

Celestial Toymaker ( I can see Tom playing that alien chess game with him, while Sarah and Harry deal with the other games)
Actually any of the Hartnell historicals would be interesting to see Tom in.

Smith and Jones ( Tom's Doctor would have a ball dealing with the Judoon)

Hungry Earth( not a huge fan of the redesigned Silurians, but I think it would be interesting to see him paired with the young boy and say that great line about monsters and brokering peace between the races)

Though, I'm more likely to think: Tom had so many good stories, that I'd rather see one of the later Doctors who didn't get the best stories and see them get their chance in a classic story.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 pm

Could Tom have done well in the Matt Smith episode, The Doctor's Wife? Or would the craziness of that little adventure have proven even more than Tom could handle? To me, it seemed like watching a modern take on a Douglas Adams-penned script, something Tom did some of in the late 70s. So what do you all think? :D
ThetaSigma

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 24th, 2012, 1:35 pm

ThetaSigma wrote:Could Tom have done well in the Matt Smith episode, The Doctor's Wife? Or would the craziness of that little adventure have proven even more than Tom could handle? To me, it seemed like watching a modern take on a Douglas Adams-penned script, something Tom did some of in the late 70s. So what do you all think? :D

I haven't seen 'The Doctor's Wife', but my general feeling is that the pace of the modern series would have cramped Tom's style a bit. Tom was at his best when allowed to converse with the other charaters/villians without being hurried along too much.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on February 25th, 2012, 7:53 pm

I can't see Tom in 'Doctor's wife', but could see him in any of the Weeping Angels stories. They strike me as very 'Tom era' monsters.

It would be interesting to see him in the Pandorica episode, just to hear him do the Stone Henge speech.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on February 29th, 2012, 2:51 am

No, Tom might not like having to tone down and rush through his performance. I never thought of that, honestly.
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 2nd, 2012, 5:19 pm

Well, I always thought Tom should have played the Doctor for another two or three seasons. Up to around 1984 with Davison then taking over. I think Davison was a bit too young and didn't really assume the character well in 1981. I think he would have been ready by 1984. So, I really just like to imagine how even better his stories would have been with Tom in them. Of course I blame John Nathan-Turner and are not a fan of his in the least. Just the way he fired Dudley Simpson makes me sick to my stomach.

I also certainly think that Tom's presence could have elevated the stories of the Colin Baker era too. I don't blame Colin though. The writing was atrocious during that period. And of course, if Tom was The Doctor in "Modern Who", it would be infinitely better!
metalheadjay

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years