Tom and the Blue Screen

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in December to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Tom and the Blue Screen

Postby pferreira1983 on December 6th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Hello Tom,

Nearing Christmas I couldn't think of a good festive question to ask you but I haven't asked you a question for many, many months so if it's okay I thought I'd ask you this one. When you worked on Doctor Who there were a number of stories like The Invisible Enemy and Underworld where you were required to act in front of a blue screen. CSO or 'colour-separation overlay' could be used pretty well to add or enhance the picture. My favourite use of this was in Warrior's Gate. That story looked amazing! My question is in today's industry do you find it easier to act with chroma key compared to back in the late 1970s when this was still a relatively new technique? Anyway thanks for answering this question and I hope it wasn't too dull. :oops:

By the way I hope you have a very Happy Christmas and an enjoyable New Year. :)

Your friend Pedro Ferreira
pferreira1983

Re: Tom and the Blue Screen

Postby Tom Baker on December 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm

Dear Pedro,

Are you forgetting how long ago I finished? More than 30 years! I have no idea how things are now. BUT, in the old days I really adored all the messing about. There was a lot of it when I worked for Ray Harryhausen on The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Happy christmas from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for December 2011