Who on Earth is Tom Baker?

"Who On Earth is Tom Baker?" & "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs"

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Who on Earth is Tom Baker?

Postby mikotyk on October 30th, 2011, 4:34 pm

I bought Tom's book on Amazon. He writes well and I love his humor. I agree that it would have been nice to read more about his Dr. Who years but you get what you get and I was happy with it.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby MCH on October 30th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I reckon I'll sell my copy as I've already read it and it isn't signed. I enjoyed reading it though it made me a little sad.
MCH

Postby ThetaSigma on December 8th, 2011, 1:35 am

So what are everybody's favorite bits and bobs of the autobiography, then? I like the bit where Tom describes dancing with an old monk during his days training in the priesthood. And I love his much later description of getting a letter warning him the sender was about to be murdered and could he go and buy some arrows for him.
ThetaSigma

Postby Toothy Grin on December 9th, 2011, 11:49 am

I love the whole book, although obviously I was particularly interested in the section covering his Dr Who years. The section on his National Service experiences was hilarious. When I first read it I was shocked and surprised at the air of loneliness throughout Tom's life and his inability to make or sustain friendships. His revelation of his suicide attempts was even more shocking. Thank goodness he didn't succeed! You could say Dr Who saved his life. A shame there wasn't much on his life and TV work after Dr Who and he glosses over his heavy drinking period of the 70's/80's rather glibly. A sad/funny/eccentric and very unique autobiography. Can we have an updated version please Tom?
Toothy Grin

Postby tracy on December 9th, 2011, 5:37 pm

:D i also love the whole book but there is one that stands out and thats when tom and sue went to new zealand i felt sorry for sue who wasnt well thou out the journey im glad she was ok in the end .i loved the part where tom and sue where in a restaurant and over comes toms son who tom hadnt seen for some time i thought that was so wonderfull to see them together again
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MrWhat on December 16th, 2011, 4:10 pm

It doesn't matter who the book was about, its a good old yarn which shows attitude and the fact that the writer is not entirely up his own "Vortex". I enjoyed it just for the sake of hearing the story. Fair enough he was the bloke who played our favourite sci fi bloke.. but there's a lot more to it than that.

Decent fella, not too full of himself. Honest too.
I used to be stupid but I'm all better now.
MrWhat

Postby tracy on December 16th, 2011, 6:26 pm

hello mr what welcome to toms dinner table if you dont mind me sayin we know tom is a great guy ive met tom 10 times the last being this october he loves to chat with his fans at events and i know how kind tom is but he also deserves a knighthood that is long overdue .hope you enjoy your stay on toms website mr what its great on here hope you get to meet tom one day
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby ThetaSigma on December 21st, 2011, 7:18 pm

tracy wrote: :D i also love the whole book but there is one that stands out and thats when tom and sue went to new zealand i felt sorry for sue who wasnt well thou out the journey im glad she was ok in the end .i loved the part where tom and sue where in a restaurant and over comes toms son who tom hadnt seen for some time i thought that was so wonderfull to see them together again

I know! I was quite taken by that part as it was the introduction sort of to the entire book, and Piers
must have really impressed his father that night to get an extended special mention in the book.

I enjoyed reading about the NZ trip as well, tracy, and laughed aloud at some of the situations that presented themselves during that trip.

And his talking to the parents of that ill little boy really spoke volumes. Tom is a being WHO cares!
ThetaSigma

Postby son of Daktari on March 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm

I have read the book twice since christmas, its very very funny although there are some sad parts as well. I just looked on google 'Lark Hall Blood Bunny' and it came back with a song by a band called reubens...... I think that was what they were called .
son of Daktari

Postby tracy on March 26th, 2012, 9:08 am

:D glad you enjoyed the book .son of daktari :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about Tom’s books