Should the next doctor be a woman?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Should the next doctor be a woman?

Postby tch on June 2nd, 2011, 5:15 pm

We almost got a black Doctor, as Patterson Joseph was one of the front runners, before Matt Smith showed up.

I love the actor so would have been thrilled it get him as a Doctor ( Go watch 'Neverwhere' to see what is basically his audition, in my mind) and then you get the bonus of people's heads exploding at the idea of a black Doctor.

Not a huge fan of the lady Doctor idea, but with a great actress and a solid writer, I could be convinced.

My idea is that after regeneration #12, in order to avoid going all crusty and 'Deadly Assassian Master looking, the Doctor's body goes through a radical process where he changes genders.
Or it's something he set up to avoid becoming the valeyard.

You could even say it radically alters his mind as well, so you'd have the mystery sub-plot of the Doctor not being sure what's happened.

There you go, Mr. Moffatt, free of charge. Just give me a mention in the closing credits.
tch

Postby MCH on June 2nd, 2011, 6:38 pm

What if the Doctor started again from the beginning. Sort of a re birth. He wouldn't remember any of his past. Nothing about him being a Time Lord. No idea what a TARDIS is. A clean slate. All he would have is the TARDIS and maybe a companion to help him along. He would have to rediscover everything.

MCH
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 2nd, 2011, 7:00 pm

tch wrote:We almost got a black Doctor, as Patterson Joseph was one of the front runners, before Matt Smith showed up.

Yes, he would have been good, but I very much doubt they would ever have chosen him. Not because of racism, but simply because they don't seem that adventurous. Matt Smith really isn't a million miles from Tennant. I expect it's all to do with target audiences and demographics etc.

Hypothetical question: how would you all react if in the next reincarnation the doctor reverted back to Tom as he was in 1977, recreated using the latest CGI technology and voiced by Tom? I believe they've made films using such technology to ressurect actors, so...
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Toothy Grin on June 2nd, 2011, 8:00 pm

I don't think the Doctor should be black either. Suddenly casting a black actor after nearly 50 years of white lead actors would just smack of tokenism and "political correctness". Anyway, when have we ever seen any black Time Lords? Not to my knowledge.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 2nd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:I don't think the Doctor should be black either. Suddenly casting a black actor after nearly 50 years of white lead actors would just smack of tokenism and "political correctness". Anyway, when have we ever seen any black Time Lords? Not to my knowledge.

Interesting. If there is a black actor who is ideal for the role than political correctness doesn't enter into it. The reason we have seen no black time lords has, I think, less to do with any inherent ethnicity in their characterisation and more to do with the fact that the BBC used to be a bastion of the white middle-class, and was frequently criticised for it. The original 1970s Survivors series, for instance, was savaged for depicting almost exclusively white middle or upper class actors, no cross-section at all. Then they went to the other extreme with the remake! :roll:

Personally, I think it's certain that at some point viewing figures will drop as casual viewers become bored with even the best of shows...then they will do something radical...a woman doctor, a black doctor, a black lesbian doctor?! Who knows.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on June 3rd, 2011, 1:59 am

MCH: I like the amnesia idea. I was thinking 'She' would have gaps in her memory and as she saw things, it would come back to her.

Graceful: I'd love a cartoon, but not sure if I'd want CGI. Unless it's big budget, Pixar level stuff it tends to look cheesy. Traditional style animation is the way to go.

I think the Who cartoon should be done anime style. The Doctor would have big spiky hair and his companion would have big eyes and be wearing a school girl uniform.
And K-9 would transform into his 'Mega Battle Form!'

and yes, Black Time Lords are as rare as a black viking ( joke only works if you've seen the Thor movie), but if you had the right actor, I'd give it a shot. Same with a woman.
Though, a black lesbian woman Doctor might be a tough sell. Though, if she's like Tennant and constantly smooching the companions, the ratings would be through the roof.
tch

Postby MCH on June 3rd, 2011, 3:16 am

TCH,
We wouldn't want the Doctor to be like Captain James Tiberious Kirk always smooching with the females, lol. I don't begrudge the Doc a smooch or three. The guys gotta have some fun, eh? But for him to have a romance is out of the question. I'd be too jealous. 8-) Besides, once he has a woman, then there are the obligatory yougnin's and the Doc as a family man is, well... Just ain't right some how. Know what I mean?

He has his hands full with Rory and Amy in the TARDIS. That's like Captain Nemo on the Nautilus with Laurel and Hardy! Lol

But why stop with a black Doc? Why not Asian, or Hindi or surfer dude. Lol, yes a surfer dude Doctor. He'd be all like, "whoa dude! Did you see that Dalek mother ship over the Planet Earth? Looks pretty knarly, I think I might hurl if there are any more of them. Sha!"

MCH
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on July 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm

It wouldn't matter to me. The Doctor is not a male human, he is an alien. When he regenerates, I guess he could be either **** and any race. I've never heard anything about him being strictly male and white.
metalheadjay

Postby ThetaSigma on December 14th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Like Terrance Dicks said in the 80s when asked the same question-The Doctor has enough to worry about than changing genders!
ThetaSigma

Postby bcm77 on December 24th, 2011, 11:02 pm

ThetaSigma wrote:Like Terrance Dicks said in the 80s when asked the same question-The Doctor has enough to worry about than changing genders!

Exactly.

It's not like the Doctor needs to change gender anyway as in the majority of the modern era it's been the "feisty" female companions that have reduced the Doctor to the status of a sidekick.

Series 1 & 2 was all about Rose.
Series 3 featured the Doctor moping about Rose. A LOT.
Series 4 was about Rose returning.
Series 5 was all about Amy.
Series 6 was all about Amy's baby & River's identity.
Last edited by bcm77 on December 26th, 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years