Social networking

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Social networking

Postby Captain Rum on December 5th, 2011, 8:08 am

I use Twitter as I'm a grumpy old man and I like to vent my spleen, plus it's good to see other people you like and/or respect do the same :D

I use Facebook to keep up to date with people who I want in my life and yet for one reason or another (money, distance, etc) I can't meet up with or speak to on the phone. Plus it's useful to see what others are doing and reply to them, or just be nosey. BUT I am very careful and conscientious with who I have on there as family, old friends, schoolfriends and even ex girlfriends are on there so every addition is considered with plenty of thought.

I'm on my own quite a bit of the week as I'm single, live on my own and currently work from home, so sites like the above, plus Forums like Tom's are vital to me...and good fun too!
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby tracy on December 5th, 2011, 10:14 am

:D oi there captain rum the 1st one you were talking about i dont use as i find the other better idid go on the 1st one last year but not used it for some time as i dont get it and the other is better .and i certainly wouldnt be with out toms website id be lost with out this forum .enjoy your sea trip captain oi there lol
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on December 5th, 2011, 1:48 pm

I've never twitted, lol. Don't you have to do that on a phone? Well, this shows you how much I know about that, lol. I'm only on FB because a friend forced me to join. :D I'm glad that she did. I like Skyppppe, but I only have two peeps to talk to there. A group skyping would be fun. Years ago I met some peeps in a chatroom that was set up by someone that liked a certain actor. Even though that chatroom is empty now some of us regs are still friends and we communicate with each other regularly. Without social networking I would have missed out on so many good people and good times.
MCH

Postby philipdalton on December 11th, 2011, 9:22 pm

I'm a member of Twitter. There was someone on there posing as Tom, giving their wife's name as Sue etc. After the moderator of this website, plus Tom himself, confirmed it for me it wasn't the definate article I reported him for being an impostor (which you can do) and he's now been removed.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on December 11th, 2011, 10:22 pm

The evils of social networking would make a good Dr Who story.

It sends people round the twist. I would estimate that at least 85% of users are deranged.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby philipdalton on December 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm

I put myself on Friends Reunited years ago. I sent a message to my old friend from school who used to live in the Chinese fish & chip shop not far from where I live & he invited me to his wedding. Is anyone else on here a member of that website?
philipdalton

Postby tracy on December 12th, 2011, 10:18 am

:D well done phillip its not nice when some one is useing some one elses name on another website .ive seen 1 or 2 being called tom baker on fb but i know it aint tom the real tom is here and i dont entend on becoming friends with a guy named tom baker who isnt plus people would get confused wondering if it is the real tom baker on these other sites dont you agree
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on December 12th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Another reason I don't like or use social network sites like Facebook is the monitoring by the Site in which they can build up picture of the person using it, for instance by seeing your "likes" and lists of friends and pages - it;s the equivalent to someone rifling through your rubbish bin. There's something sinister about these sites in my opinion.
Toothy Grin

Postby philipdalton on December 28th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Users of Facebook only put on their profile what they want others to see. Are there any MySpacers on here?
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on December 28th, 2011, 5:40 pm

philipdalton wrote:Users of Facebook only put on their profile what they want others to see. Are there any MySpacers on here?

One major issue I have with Facebook, other than it being generally annoying with all kinds of spam and crap, is that you have to use your real name.

I did have a MySpace site years ago, but the service went a long way downhill. I understand they're kind of relaunching it.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous