Tom Baker at The Stamp Centre ~ 26/11/09

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Baker at The Stamp Centre ~ 26/11/09

Postby John on November 22nd, 2009, 6:42 pm

With thanks to Tracy for pointing this out.

Tom Baker, Louise Jameson and friends will be signing merchandise at The Stamp Centre, The Strand, London on Thursday 26th November. The event starts at 10.30.

Also there on the day will be Prentis Hancock and Velile Tshabalala.

Fortuitously, I am off work that day, so I'll be going along! :D
John

Re: Tom Baker at The Stamp Centre ~ 26/11/09

Postby tracy on November 22nd, 2009, 7:08 pm

its actully thanks to tom for putting it on the website . john its ashame that i cant get to this one as we could have met up but if your off when the sfx event is in feb then maybe you could meet up with me there
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Gold Usher on November 23rd, 2009, 3:58 am

Wish I could make it...I blew my chance when Tom came to Boston back in the 1980s.
I had to work that Saturday but a friend I worked with went and brought back some photos she took of him on stage.
Now I have to cross the pond to see him. I hope he keeps up with the public appearances..I'm saving my dimes.
Gold Usher

Postby tracy on November 26th, 2009, 10:21 am

well todays the day and i couldnt make it . damm and its johns first time meeting tom so john please tell us about your meeting with tom looking forward to hearing about it. you will certainly enjoy it meeting tom and its the first time ive missed a tom signing at the shop but will be going to the sfx event next feb . hope the weather is good for tom today and for all who are waiting out side the shop to
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 26th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Well I almost didn't go as I rather foolishly sat up watching Underworld until 03:00, so when I woke up at 07:00 after only four hours sleep, I really wasn't in the mood.

But I persevered, and summoning as much energy as I could muster, battled my way through the biting wind to get to the station where, standing shoulder to shoulder with all the other lost souls cluching their cups of coffee and copies of the Metro, I observed that we must have looked for all the world as though we were standing in the queue for the firing squad.

I have worked for the railways for six years (praise the company), and being fully aware of its deficiencies I avoid the peak times like the plague, so let me tell you travelling to Charing Cross station during the morning rush was a real eye-opener and not an experience I intend repeating any time soon!

So following a short walk from the station forecourt I arrived at the Stamp Centre, where I was much relieved to find myself joining a queue of only twenty or so fans, although our number soon swelled. With the wind ripping down the Strand and my spirits sinking rapidly, I told myself that should it begin to rain I would be forced to abandon the signing in favour of the warm inviting looking coffee bar next door, at least that was until a larger than life Tom arrived for a quick chat with the fans before disappearing into the warmth of the shop.

My mood having been lifted by Tom's arrival, I chatted to some of my fellow fans for around thirty five minutes before being ushered into the shop to make my purchases. I bought three very nice artwork prints of The Planet of Evil (for Prentis Hanckock to sign), The Talons of Weng Chiang (for Tom and Louise to sign), and The Next Doctor (for Velile Tshabalala to sign).

Fifteen or so minutes later I was having my print signed by the gorgeous Velile Tshabalala, who is as down to earth as they come and has an absolutely infectious laugh. Next up was the turtle neck sweater loving Prentis Hancock, looking a far cry from the his shouty camp looking alter-ego Controller Salamar. But as the tradition goes: save the best for last, and if like me you've never met Louise Jameson, let me tell you she's an absolute fox and so sweet. She also very kindly signed my hardback copy of The Sunmakers which she described as "the best story ever" and told me that she had recently recorded a commentary for the DVD release. Looking forward to that one!

As one would expect Tom is absolutely magnificent, keeping the fans entertained with a stream of gags and amusing anecdotes, one of which I cannot repeat here! When he talks to you, his gaze is almost hypnotic and his velvety tones are so mesmerising that he could be reading out the product specifications of a microwave oven and you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from listening.

I was so excited at having met Tom and Louise and so enthralled by his story about Michael Keating, that I completely forgot to thank him for setting up this website and forum, so if you're reading this Tom, thank you, and it was lovely to have finally met you!
John

Postby pattie anne on November 26th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Dear John -

Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences with us. It was a very kind thing for you to do.

Best,
Pattie Anne
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby JulietCatherine on November 29th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Dear John:

Thanks for sharing! Hope you had a great time! Well, you met all those delightful people (especially Tom Baker). Wish I was you (no joking)! The only thing I would do different is bring my two sisters (Debbie and Peggy) and my mom. My mother will be in a motorized scooter, she cannot stand up for long. I love Louise Jameson as his companion Leela (I mean the Doctor’s companion). I would give Louise Jameson and Tom Baker big hugs (and kisses on the cheeks). I think Louise Jameson is a sweet heart too, just like her co-star Tom Baker. I also like to see the woman who portrayed Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who, she seems so sweet, and I will give her a kiss on the cheek and a big hug too. But I wouldn’t spend that much time in the shops, maybe a little time, if I had time after meeting all those wonderful people (especially Tom Baker). I would probably talk Tom Baker’s ears off, because I am a talker. But I would love to hear Tom Baker talk, because I just love his voice, and I love his stories and his history. I would love to share stories and information with the other fans too. And meet the other fans! And the other fans and I could exchange contact information too. Fans of all ages be ready for a meeting with Tom Baker’s fan Juliet! I love each and every fan here! And a big hug and big kiss on the cheek is waiting for each fan from Juliet too. Fans I guess you have to wait in line for me too (laughing)(kind of joking).

Love all of you,
Juliet
Juliet
Happy Holidays
Houston Texas USA
JulietCatherine

Postby tracy on November 30th, 2009, 10:45 am

:D john glad you had a good time meeting tom hopefully it will be the first of many for you .and you nearly didnt make it but in the end you got there
tracy with out the E
tracy

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions