Dr Who Goes To Hollywood?

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Dr Who Goes To Hollywood?

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 15th, 2011, 6:08 pm

According to the BBC, there is a Hollywood Dr Who film being developed.

They are talking about it being "quite a radical transformation".

Just how radical can you be and still make it Dr Who? It needs to be a British actor in a time-travelling police box as far as I'm concerned. No superhero powers or big guns.

It's also weird that they're planning to do this while the series is still (as far as we know) going to be in production.

How do you feel about this prospect?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Dr Who Goes To Hollywood?

Postby tch on November 15th, 2011, 6:13 pm

As a fan, I'm excited.

As someone who knows the history of 'Doctor Who' movies and how Hollywood can screw up a property, I'm going with a 'wait and see' attitude.

I want to look forward to this, but can also see where it can go horribly wrong.

I'm sure, at the very least, there will be lots of fun discussion as everyone starts imagining who they'd want cast as what character.
tch

Postby MCH on November 16th, 2011, 12:53 pm

I guess it all depends on the producers, directors, casting staffers and story writers. Anything can be botched badly. But when it all comes together it can be totally awesome! I'm looking forward to see what will happen and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the powers that be will do the story justice. I do hope that they will not have a 3D version. I think it would be interesting to not have all the characters sport British accents for a change. And yes I know, we yanks, are the ones with the "accents", lol.
MCH

Postby Toothy Grin on November 16th, 2011, 2:47 pm

It can't be any worse than the current series!
Toothy Grin

Postby MCH on November 16th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Oh yes it can! I like the current series, but you know that. 8-)
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 16th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Yes, it could always be worse!

Imagine if they chose some action hero type actor to do it.

Someone mentioned Gary Oldman to me as being a good candidate. He's certainly a good actor, but perhaps they would want someone younger and (shudder) sexier.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on November 16th, 2011, 10:45 pm

It couldn't be worse?

How about 'Doctor Who, a Micheal Bay production, starring Will Smith, Jennifer Aniston and Eddie Murphy as the voice of K-9!'

Personally, I'd like to see Anthony Stewart Head as the Doctor, but they will probably go with someone younger like Rupert Grint.
Though, if the movie is going to be a break from the TV show, maybe they will finally go with a lady Doctor.
Anne Hathaway is the Doctor!
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on December 1st, 2011, 10:29 pm

Let's not give way to panic just yet, my friends. Let us simply sit back and wait for further news. All I know for sure is David Yates from Harry Potter has supposedly been asked to bring Who to the big screen. Apparently that much is true, who knowsm, but no reason to panic just yet as we wait for further confirmation.
U just hope whatever they do they remmeber to keep the british elements in as that is what made the classic series work so well in America.
ThetaSigma

Postby philipdalton on December 2nd, 2011, 5:11 pm

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened; there were film versions made of the first two Doctor Who adventures starring Christopher Lee as the Doctor I think. Roy Castle also starred in them.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby ThetaSigma on December 2nd, 2011, 7:33 pm

It was actually Peter Cushing (Lee's one-time co-star in many Dracula-Van Helsing films) who played the Doctor, and the two Dalek movies are quite good in their own right. The second is miles better thant he first, though, and Bernard Cribbins co-stars in that one.
ThetaSigma

Next

Return to Miscellaneous