Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Postby Toothy Grin on September 19th, 2011, 3:22 pm

That's a marathon viewing of all Tom's Doctor Who stories (hence Tom-a-thon) :lol: I don't mean every single episode without a break, but say one story per day. I have access to all his stories, either on DVD or VHS, and I thought I might give it a go. Should take me about 6 weeks. Now, where's that DVD of Robot? .....
Toothy Grin

Re: Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Postby Wonkakid on September 20th, 2011, 1:57 am

That is one serious undertaking. If you do it, I'd love daily updates about your take upon re-watching a story you hadn't seen in some time.

In short, I vote for it!

Rob
Chicago
Wonkakid

Postby MCH on September 20th, 2011, 2:27 pm

I did an entire classic who a thon last December. It was manic but fun. Of course I don't recall most of it. It was a lot of information to take in. I'm glad there wasn't a test at the end, lol.
MCH

Postby tch on September 20th, 2011, 3:36 pm

I tend to do mini-marathons, where I'll only watch a certain Doctor's stories in a row.
Just did a bunch of Patrick Troughton stories.

I'm about due for Tom. Might be fun to watch the 'Key to time' in one big showing.
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on September 20th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Made a start with Robot. Hugely enjoyable and the perfect antidote to the dark, overly complex and emotionally weighed-down new series that's currently on. A simple, straightforward action adventure tale is just what the Doctor ( :lol: ) ordered! Forgotton how young Tom looks in this. He really gives his all in this, obviously keen to make his mark and clearly overjoyed at the opportunity he's been given. The skipping rope scene is hilarious as is the quick costume changes. The giant robot is a marvellous piece of design and you actually feel sorry for it at times. Shame about the toy tank and obvious CSO but to be honest poor special effects never really bother me as long as the story is entertaining.
Ark in Space next then.....
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 21st, 2011, 11:05 am

If I watch more than about an hour of TV a day it makes me feel restless and agitated, so I could never hope to do a Tom-a-thon. But , yes, daily updates on your progress would be fun.

I like Robot a lot. It's basically King Kong + a bit of Frankenstein, but that's no problem. I love Lis in this one, and the terrible dolly they use for her being picked up by the giant robot is utterly hilarious. It was an appalling quality effect for even for the era it was made, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Wouldn't it be interesting to do a reverse Tom-a-thon...to see him get younger by the moment and 'progress' from the mildly dull latter years to the golden days of Dr Who.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Who dat? on September 21st, 2011, 2:24 pm

I watch a bit of Tom almost every day. I put them on my iTouch and usually catch an episode while I eat lunch.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby Wonkakid on September 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:Made a start with Robot
Ark in Space next then.....

Rock! Looking forward to hearing updates.
Wonkakid

Postby Toothy Grin on September 23rd, 2011, 3:54 pm

The Ark in Space - completely different in tone and style to Robot. This is real "mature" sci-fi with some disturbing material (the Wirrn larva laying eggs in human bodies and the "body horror" of being transformed into a monstrous creature). The sets are fantastic, the curved corridors are possibly the best Dr Who corridors seen on the show. The Wirrn look pretty good in close up, not so great when having to actually move about. The green bubble wrap grubs are rather unintentionally funny but at least the actors take everything seriously. Tom gives a highly charged performance and really makes the character his own with this story. All in all, this is a claustrophobic classic and one of my favourites.
Also squeezed in The Sontaran Experiment as it's only a 2 parter. Strange having a story filmed entirley on location, and on OB video too (which actually makes it look "newer" somehow), the windswept dartmoor location looks suitably barren and adds a more realistic feel, the story is a bit too straightforward but doesn't outstay it's welcome. Knowing this was the one where Tom nearly broke his neck it's easy to spot when it's his stunt double doing most of the action, thankfully Tom made a quick recovery. The spacemen with their south african accents is a novel touch and the "torture" scenes are rather disturbing. A neat little 2 parter.
I believe the Daleks are now lurking round the corner....
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 24th, 2011, 10:57 am

Hey! Don't forget to give us a run down on Lis's outfits as well! :D :oops: :shock: :| :arrow:
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years