Ranters room

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ranters room

Postby The Cloaked One on August 20th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I could see Pertwee doing the Hungry Earth, I wonder why. XD
Any of the first four in the Library, easily. The First would be the most crash with River Song, the second would've made her a companion instantly and would have found some crazy means by which they would have survived the episode. Tom Baker would 'accidentally' come bobbing up where the girl is.
Only Tennant could have done Blink... maybe Sylvester McCoy or Troughton, but they would not have been nearly the performance.
Victory of the Daleks would have to have been renamed Destruction of the Daleks with some of the older doctors. Maybe the fifth would have attacked one with a wrench.
Tom Baker would've regenerated at the end of the drop in The End of Time. He would've also shot the Timelords before regenerating though, with his crazy Baker smile.
For many episodes, it would be major changes to match that Doctor's personality and era. The old old Doctors would be focused more on horror such as Genesis of the Daleks, high body counts, and centered almost squarely on the Doctor with no room for subplots.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby The Cloaked One on August 28th, 2011, 9:36 am

Sorry for chatting too much. I kinda feel like a period at the end of a sentence. I need to let you guys talk more.

Just saw the latest episode. It was kinda all over the place and back. Melody's second regeneration was kinda completely rushed. I might be the only one who feels this way, but the Doctor should always be played by white male British actors just as Romana should always be played by white female British actors. If you want a black timelord, have all their regenerations be constant. I have no problem with that, just don't mix and match. If you had a male black timelord for 8 regenerations, please don't make the ninth a white female. Just don't.
Also, Hitler had almost nothing to do with the episode. Why even go back to Germany in the first place, might have well taken place in a Wall-mart or something.
Third, the villains of this one. Time traveling justice robots was just strange. Not the first time for justice robots (Stones of Blood), but these were just much much weirder and rife with confusion. What's with the clearance and antibodies? Why do they let Rory and Amy just do whatever they want on the supposedly 'secure' main deck. Put them in the lobby if not in lock down. Have actual security beyond mindless antibodies which might kill you if you 'don't have clearance.' The main idea was not bad, but there was a lot to be desired in this one. Too much happened just for the sake of plot progression.
This is one of River's most obnoxious episodes to date, Flesh and Stone being a close competitor. She's too flashy, and almost seems bipolar in this episode. Why did she wait till then to meet the Doctor? Who knows. Why did she suddenly have a personality reversal after years of brainwashing? Obviously the Doctor is magical. She also gives extreme merit to every word uttered by the Doctor, which is very strange in both the flashback and in the episode. Just wait what my brain not that way it doesn't work like that how why no what has been seen can't be unseen just NO! And Don't Shoot the Tardis!

Gotta love being able to use 10 regenerations to restore 1. Kinda perfect there.

Overall, the episodes okay. It kept me interested. Just a bunch of weirdness. Half was good the other half was eh or corny. The fish with custard thing with the hologram, the Doctor 'dying' again. Could have been worse. Could have been better. XD
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Captain Rum on August 28th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Hooray, someone's posted :D

I've given Nu-Who so many chances to impress me but it's still a "one good episode, the rest boring or poor" scenario. Fed up of the same characters coming back all the time, and you know he's going to come up with another cliche like the Fez, etc and he even went "Doctor Who" I cringed at that!!!

4/10....please stop bringing back old characters and their families, it's boring, considering it's a time machine that can go anywhere in anytime. That's why I loved Tom's era, you never knew what was going to come next, every story was different, with new characters that maintained their interest all the way through.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby MCH on August 28th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Cloaked one, you're too funny ! :D

I missed the episode last night. It is recorded though!
MCH

Postby The Cloaked One on August 29th, 2011, 1:09 am

Am I the only one betting that the ultimate question, under everyone's nose, is going to be Doctor Who? Moffat did say he wanted to make the Doctor's name a plot point... I say nay, the Doctor's name falls under never answer he shall always be the Doctor! Not lil Thetey, not Q-quite-cod, not James McAwesome nor John Saxon. Just the Doctor. XD
Then again, maybe not. River Song knew the Doctor name possibly not because he told her, but because she could read gallifreyan and read his name off of his crib. You know what, I don't care. Too many details and the material is taking itself way too seriously. :P
The Cloaked One

Postby MCH on August 29th, 2011, 1:18 am

Ooh ooh! I know the answer to the ultimate question! It's 42 ! :mrgreen: :geek:

I watched the episode. I enjoyed it but ...
MCH

Postby Captain Rum on August 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Revealing the Doctor's name is one of those no-nos that Nu-Who like to do, break all the taboos just for sensationalist reasons. First off you had recurring companions, so much so that the Tardis might aswell just have had a revolving door at the front, not to mention all their families too! Then they had every companion fancying the Doctor, a great way of ruining a story, next they'll be making Hugh Grant the Doctor and getting Richard Curtis to write full time..."Four Weddings in Space" :roll: Every idea they come up with just gets my head shaking more and more, I thought Moffat would be better in charge of Who compared to RTD but I think he's worse. Part of the Doctor's strength is from him being a mysterious alien, who doesn't think of hanky-panky and uses his brains to get out of trouble, it's becoming less Dr Who and more like an American soap opera.

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Captain Rum

Postby The Cloaked One on August 29th, 2011, 3:20 pm

I've said that a few time myself, though not exactly in your words because I've never seen an American Soap Opera. XD The eleventh Doctor is a series unto itself. Based on its own merits, I kinda like it, a pick up compared to the hit and miss Tennant years. Nu Who in general is to much Nu-l337 sweet feet nice threads gangster popping let's bad wolf graffiti man stuff and drastically different than old who. The focus, the story telling, everything. I'm not saying the actors are bad, I like Tennant and Smith, but it's just not old who.

River Song would probably have been better off not having been married to the Doctor/ killing the Doctor and being just an ordinary companion rather than the I'm a so cool breaking out of prison and back in prison and knowing more about the Doctor and "Spoilers."

The Doctor is best when not snogging people and marrying Marlyn Monroe or the Ol Queen. When he's not being told to be clever by everyone. When he's not collecting dues. When he's a fatherly figure and not a romantic one. When he uses paperclips, charm, bluffing, Venusian moves instead of only psychic paper and his sonic screwdriver and the occasional genocidal plot switch. When he comes in and resolves a situation and quietly makes his leave without crashing his Tardis into Hitler's office and throwing the guy into a cupboard. When he isn't imperiled from regenerating by a simple kiss. XD

I have endless good to say about the first four Doctor's, they captured the essence of the show. The rest have tried, and at times succeeded. They also have tried to adapt the character in a way, that its an 'evolving show' and that its gotta match the times. I wish that they had left it more in its timeless fashion that Tom Baker so brilliantly brought out.

Again, the new season has been good in its own ways. I've enjoyed it, whatever it is. Whether its Nu Who Doctor Who Fanfiction gone awry, Nu Who American Soap Opera, or whatever. Moffat has kind of made his own unique show out of what he was given. Who knows what the next director will do if there is a next one. Moffat might want to sit in to finish the show much like JNT had Tom Baker through Sylvester McCoy.
The Cloaked One

Postby Captain Rum on August 29th, 2011, 10:26 pm

[quote="The Cloaked One"]
The Doctor is best when not snogging people and marrying Marlyn Monroe or the Ol Queen. When he's not being told to be clever by everyone. When he's not collecting dues. When he's a fatherly figure and not a romantic one. When he uses paperclips, charm, bluffing, Venusian moves instead of only psychic paper and his sonic screwdriver and the occasional genocidal plot switch. When he comes in and resolves a situation and quietly makes his leave without crashing his Tardis into Hitler's office and throwing the guy into a cupboard. When he isn't imperiled from regenerating by a simple kiss. XD

I have endless good to say about the first four Doctor's, they captured the essence of the show. The rest have tried, and at times succeeded. They also have tried to adapt the character in a way, that its an 'evolving show' and that its gotta match the times. I wish that they had left it more in its timeless fashion that Tom Baker so brilliantly brought out.

I agree entirely with what you put above, except for me I prefer the Pertwee through to Colin Baker's first season, plus I like the McCoy stories with Ace. I liked the first two Doctors to a point but not as much as the ones who followed, as for the ones who appeared after McCoy, none of them have really been to my liking, the TVM was just a car-crash and the RTD & Moffat times have just been to repetitive, I get fed up of seeing the same people come back again and again, not likely to happen if you can travel anywhere at anytime, why would you want to see the same people ALL of the time? It's just for kids and families with kids, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore, albeit except for an occasional gem or two like "Blink". He's an alien, the last thing he would do is cry all the time, that's the human way of coping with grief, Adric never got tears from the Doctor.

Captain Rum

Postby The Cloaked One on August 30th, 2011, 2:41 am

Thank goodness for ranting rooms else I would be booted from the site as #1 spammer. XD

I started off Doctor Who seeing Ark in Space, so for a while Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor. I loved Arc in Space, Pyramids of Mars, Masque of Mandragora, and many others. I liked his humor, his companions, just a lot to like.

Then I saw Pertwee. Although Pertwee's second season can be a tad hard to watch one after another (too much Master overload), he quickly became my favorite Doctor for many reasons. First and foremost, the Brigadier. Unit in general, Sargent Benton. The Master as Delgado, Bessie. I liked his dry humor and his wardrobe. I liked his Venusian karate. Joe Grant is one of my favorite companions being one of the few who started off nearly worthless "I'm here just to shine your vials and make you look smart" to sneaking around Dalek bases and being highly competent by the end.

One of the biggest difference between Pertwee and Tom Baker for me came down in the writing. Inferno was one of my favorite serials in Doctor Who because the story really felt complete with the seventh episode. Many of Tom Baker's serials like the Invasion of Time and many of the 4 parters always felt a bit incomplete or rushed at the end and I never really got that feeling during Pertwee's era. This was one of the deciding factors for me.

I saw all of Troughton's existing episodes first and thought he was so-so. I very much appreciated that he could get me to laugh in even his lesser episodes. It wasn't until I started watching the missing episodes that he was cemented as my favorite. Power of the Daleks, his first serial, he just walks into the role amazingly well. While many actors had to spend time adjusting such as Baker in Robot, he just was spot on from the get go. The serial was also written by Dennis Spooner with a lot of great humor. Victory of the Daleks is a poor man's rehash of this episode, they didn't get Spooner to write the new one. XD In all seriousness, this is my favorite Dalek episode in the show. The following season came the Wheel in Space which became my favorite Cyberman episode. My favorite serial of Doctor Who is the Faceless Ones which also falls in Troughton's first season.

Jamie was an awesome companion. Zoe was okay. Troughton, in my opinion, is like the missing stooge. He's got such great facial expressions and slapstick mixed in with his dialogue. He constantly worked with the writers on the scripts and it shows. His first two seasons are very well made and its a shame that they are missing. His final season, however, was a bit of a let down. Tomb of the Cybermen was descent, the Seeds of Death was alright. The War Games I liked but is indeed a long long episode.

Hartnell did not become my fourth favorite Doctor until around this time. (My favorites go 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1st, 10th, 7th, 6th, 11th, 9th, 8th, 5th). His first season was hard for me to watch. While I did enjoy Marco Polo, The Keys of Marinus seemed to never end. It wasn't until his second season, Planet of the Giants, the Rescue, The Web Planet, the Time Meddler and this third season the Myth Makers, the Dalek Master Plan (his meeting with the Meddler), the Celestial Toymaker, the Gunfighters (bar the singing), and the Savages that he moved up above David Tennant. Tennant is a good actor, but he has so many many miss episodes and one of my least favorite catch phrases, "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."

For Colin Baker, I liked the Two Doctors, the Mark and the Rani and the Trial of a Timelord. His first season had many miss episodes for me though.

Sylvester McCoy I liked some of his episodes. The series quit taking itself seriously and started allowing comedy to override plot points because even his best episodes had fundamental problems. On the other hand, he got Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, and the Happiness Patrol which is 25% of his tenure. Good actor, I had no problem with him. Even in Paradise Towers where everything was dissolving into a puddle of illogic, McCoy was the only person whom which clarity showed during the entire serial. I have no idea how he pulled that off. When he came in, things started making sense, when he was off screen, goodness help the audience. XD
The Cloaked One

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous