Lis Sladen

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Lis Sladen

Postby mystery item on April 25th, 2011, 5:40 am

This is perhaps my first ever post on this forum (aside from posing Tom a question) but at this point I feel like I can't NOT post.

Like others have said, the level of genuine sadness I felt on reading this news was illogical, even completely inexplicable, for someone that I have never actually met. I'm not a terribly emotional person but this really got to me for some reason. It really feels as though I have lost a dear friend.

And yes, I suppose that really was why many of us feel that Elisabeth Sladen was the greatest companion of all. Watching her, it was as if there was no barrier between Lis, her character, and the relationships and experiences she shared with those on screen with her. It all felt so natural, lacking that element of performance that causes you to sometimes perceive characters as more abstraction than reality. To me, she was a real, three dimensional, strong woman. And watching the end of Hand of Fear was sad enough, but it was all somehow remedied by seeing her appear in The Five Doctors, where clearly the Doctor had "remembered" her, and then later on in the new series/SJA where we knew she lived on as a strong and spirited woman. It was so cool to know that a new generation of children could grow up to love and be inspired by Elisabeth Sladen's character. I can only imagine that she kept her illness secret from the public because she really was committed to staying positive for herself and her fans until the end.
mystery item

Postby Prydonian on April 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Here's to her. Here's to Elisabeth Sladen! *raises glass* Long may her memory reign in the skies overhead! :)
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on April 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I watched "The Hand of Fear" over the weekend and it was a bit emotional but Lis will live on through her work and that's something friends and fans alike can take comfort in.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Prydonian on May 18th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I heard BBC4 aired The Hand of Fear recently over one night. Is that how you saw it or do you own the serial? Also, do you think The Sarah Jane Adventures is officially over or will they air the last episodes Lis recorded before her untimely passing? Some people seem to think the Series 4 finale was an adequete place to stop.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on May 20th, 2011, 4:47 pm

I wonder what she thought having to wear that candy stripped jumpsuit?

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

You know, I am unsure whether she mentioned it on the dvd release or not. I know She was on the commentary with Tom. It was a rather cute outfit but it really stood out. I wonder if she had any say-so in wearing it or if she chose it herself?
Prydonian

Postby Wonkakid on May 23rd, 2011, 5:28 pm

Prydonian wrote:You know, I am unsure whether she mentioned it on the dvd release or not. I know She was on the commentary with Tom. It was a rather cute outfit but it really stood out. I wonder if she had any say-so in wearing it or if she chose it herself?

I believe in the Swap Shop extra on the DVD, she talks a little about her wardrobe (here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcVc8V_FaA). The stars on the jumpsuit, at least, were her idea, as I believe she explains on the DVD commentary.

Best,

Rob
Wonkakid

Postby Krono's on August 17th, 2011, 9:14 am

I know I'm late on the scene, but I still miss Lis. I'm so glad to have met her several times over the decade. The last time I saw her she was just getting huge again with SJS Adventures. When she saw me she called me by name & waved. :cry: I chose not to attend anymore events after that. I figured she belonged to a new generation, now (& to be honest. I didn't want to be surrounded by kids at conventions). A BIG mistake!

The Universe is empty without her! :cry:
Krono's

Postby Captain Rum on August 18th, 2011, 12:31 am

Yes, she'll be missed terribly, I was looking forward to her bringing out her book and possibly meeting her if she did a book signing. One of the best companions, although in my case as a classic Who one.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Krono's on August 18th, 2011, 8:51 am

Prydonian wrote:I heard BBC4 aired The Hand of Fear recently over one night. Is that how you saw it or do you own the serial? Also, do you think The Sarah Jane Adventures is officially over or will they air the last episodes Lis recorded before her untimely passing? Some people seem to think the Series 4 finale was an adequete place to stop.

Funny that, because I watched it on video on the date she died. If that ending choked me up before it certainly had me drowning in tears then!
Krono's

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years