Who on Earth is Tom Baker?

"Who On Earth is Tom Baker?" & "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs"

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Who on Earth is Tom Baker?

Postby Prydonian on May 2nd, 2011, 10:10 pm

Well, I believe Jon Pertwee and TB are the two finest actors to ever grace our TV screens as the Third and Fourth Doctors, respectively. Which makes me ask: has anyone read either of the books (bios, both of them) Pertwee wrote before his passing? I am looking for copies and wonder if the search is worth it compared to how well TB's own bio was written?
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 3rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

People are always going to criticize and give their opinion on what they perceive as being good or bad. It's the nature of the beast. I have solid well informed reasons as to why I consider Classic "Who"(especially the Tom Baker era) to be way superior compared to modern "Who". I could elaborate.. but what's the point. Many of us here(including myself) have already done so. Enjoy modern "Who" if you must. It just doesn't work for me...personally.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on May 3rd, 2011, 10:23 pm

Jay, I am of similair opinion now. And I have seen all the new series from Rose onward, many, many times. But you are right. There is something missing that the classic series had in its heyday.
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 7:04 am

To be honest, I think there's ALOT missing, Pry. :)
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on May 11th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I know, maybe it's because I am older now, but the new material just isn't the same. Not by a long shot.
Prydonian

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 2:50 am

Having said that and much much more elsewhere, there IS something addictive with some of the new episodes since 2005. I find the Time war backstory to be gripping, and the same for the initial return of the Master. And Rose' return with Davros and a dangerous army of Daleks in both Series 1 and series 4. Gave me dream material to work with for weeks after seeing Series 1. I dreamed of Daleks fighting Time Lords outside of my window. And Christopher Eccleston shaving in my bathroom! :lol:

Back to track, does anyone here or reading this have a copy of Tom's bio that he signed for you, personally? Tell us your story! :D
Prydonian

Postby Captain Rum on August 14th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Moderator wrote:Dear Prydonian -

Great news. Still hoping that one day Tom will do a bio part two.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Yes, a continuation/part 2 would be great news, Tom#s been pretty busy since '97! He could talk about Little Britain, Monarch, Dvd commentaries, various voiceovers, not to mention the stuff away from the camera. My signed copy of his autobiography is a treasured posession! :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Captain Rum on August 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Prydonian wrote:Jay, I am of similair opinion now. And I have seen all the new series from Rose onward, many, many times. But you are right. There is something missing that the classic series had in its heyday.

I agree 100%. It reminds me of Star Trek TOS and Star Trek TNG...the original being infinitely better than the latter.

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Captain Rum

Postby MCH on August 15th, 2011, 3:26 am

Is Prydonian back on the board?
MCH

Postby Captain Rum on August 17th, 2011, 6:41 am

No idea, was just browsing through the threads as I've been away for ages and wanted to catch up.

Captain Rum

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about Tom’s books