A Way For Tom To Play The Dr. For An Episode Now

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

A Way For Tom To Play The Dr. For An Episode Now

Postby mcalldp on June 3rd, 2011, 8:46 pm

I have a thought for a Tom cameo playing the Dr. himself, while looking correct at his current age. We know that Tennant created a second Dr. with his character but that Dr. - while maintaining the same memories, knowledge and personality, was physically human (no regeneration) and this was the version that stayed with Rose.

Tom could play an older/future version of this Tennant era human Doctor. The current Dr. finds his way across the rift at a future point (a million explanations to make this work) and Tom, playing the "human version" tells him of his wonderful life with Rose, how they married, had children and then grandchildren. Then, one of their grandchildren comes into the scene and ends up as a companion.

The Dr. Back with his grandchild like the original Dr. Who series began! Only, it's Roses (and in a way his) grandchild.

Some wise-words can be shared, a touching moment, a funny bit where they fight over who gets to press some button in the Tardis or maybe a complaint that he was left without a sonic screwdriver and you've got a show that's come full circle with a perfect spot for Tom Baker to actually play The Dr (Proper) again.

I would keep this all to one show or a short two part story arch leaving the current Dr. free to go on with a current proper companion. However, within a short story arch, this would all be an Amazing bit in my opinion.

Anyway, that's the only thought I had on Tom playing the Dr. again while being age correct and actually being a meaningful part of, and furthering, the current story.

Love it? Hate it? Flame suit on. Plenty of tweaking needed but it could be done in a million ways. Just the basic premise of a human clone of the Dr. that's aged creates a spot for Tom to reprise the role of the Dr. for a moment.
~sHiNe oN~
mcalldp

Re: A Way For Tom To Play The Dr. For An Episode Now

Postby bcm77 on July 26th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Have the present Doctor regenerate into an aged version of one of his past incarnations, get the companions to do all the running around and just let Tom be Tom.

Nobody does it better.

Although I wouldn't trust today's production team to give him any decent material to work with.

Bringing Rose back should never, ever happen IMO, she left the show twice and doesn't need to return again although I expect the RTD crowd to be dragged back for the 50th Anniversary and all the Classic era characters will promptly be shoved into the background....it is the way of things :roll:

I don't wish to have a go at fans of the 10th Doctor & Rose in general but it does seem to me like some can't seem to accept the show is about change and only want the show with those characters, hence all the threads on numerous fansites where people come up with different ideas to bring them back.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on July 27th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I don't think the Tennant clone can regenerate. Think they said he would age and grow old with Rose, which is why he could stay with her and the original couldn't.

Points for effort, but not sure if it would work.
Plus, we'd have to get him across the void from the other universe.

I still think it would have been cool if they'd cast Tom as the Dream Lord.
tch

Postby MCH on July 27th, 2011, 9:43 pm

The clone doesn't regenerate he just grows old and looks, talks and acts like Tom. Lol

The thought of Doctor and Rose having children is an unappealing one for me.
MCH

Postby ThetaSigma on December 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm

What about Tom playing the Voice Interface onboard the Tardis, in an extended sequence between him and Matt Smith? That could work, and he could play it as his Doctor perhaps reprimanding Smith for shaking up his beloved Tardis?
ThetaSigma

Postby tch on March 15th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Shame that during the scene in 'Let's kill Hitler' where Matt Smith talks to the Tardis interface they didn't get a past Doctor to play the hologram.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on March 20th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I know, that was a rather wasted oppurtunity for certain. But it could still be done in the future. I hope so, at any rate! :D
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 26th, 2012, 6:16 pm

I don't think I would like to see Tom playing anything but The Doctor in the flesh. And at least as a co-lead to the current doctor. When it comes to the 50th Anniversary of "Doctor Who", the greatest Doctor really shouldn't be playing second fiddle to anyone. He should have a huge role. Plus, when you consider stuntmen and what computers can do these days, Tom wouldn't have to be overly physical in the role. I think a one-off special or tv film with him back in the lead as The Doctor would be a dream come true. Heck, I would pay big bucks to see that! :D
metalheadjay

Postby ThetaSigma on July 2nd, 2012, 10:58 pm

Well you know, the Moff is working on multiple things for the anniversary so Tom making a return alongside the incumbant Doctor is not so farfetched! I can totally see a special one-off for the anniversary year with Tom in the flesh as the greatest Doctor of all! Apparently, it will be kind of similiar to the twentieth anniversary season in 1983 that brought back elements from past episodes for several adventures and not just one special.
ThetaSigma

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years