What Do You Think of CGI

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

What Do You Think of CGI

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 22nd, 2011, 3:11 pm

What do you think of the use of GCI to update the visual effects on stories from the original series?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: What Do You Think of CGI

Postby Toothy Grin on June 23rd, 2011, 12:53 pm

I have mixed feelings about it. I generally hate CGI in movies, and feel there was something special about the old "hand-made effects where you can appreciate how much effort went into them. However, some of the effects on Doctor Who were so ropey that it really improves a story if they are given the CGI treatment. Little things like updating laser gun effects are fine, it's knowing where to stop that's the problem (George Lucas take note!). I'm glad that on the DVD's you're given the option of either watching the story with the original effects or with updated ones. I thought the new model work on The Ark in Space was excellent, although another problem is that often the new effects look glaringly out of place and show up the low budget-ness of the rest of the story. In general though, I feel they're a welcome addition, as long as they don't overdo it.
Toothy Grin

Postby Wonkakid on June 23rd, 2011, 3:57 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:... although another problem is that often the new effects look glaringly out of place and show up the low budget-ness of the rest of the story. In general though...

I agree completely. I don't really like them being wedged into old DW stories. It is good, at least, that we're given the option. But they do look a bit out of place. Not unlike breast implants on a nun.

Rob
Chicago
Wonkakid

Postby MCH on June 26th, 2011, 3:38 am

In general I love CGI. It really brings things to life.
CGI ing parts of Classic Who? Intriguing, but probably not a good idea. They would nearly have to redo the entire episode to make it look right. Classic Who doesn't need CGI, really. It is what it is and that is good. Now the CGI in New Who is awesome! IMHO anyway. ;) CGI along with the latest can do's in make-up and costumes? Unbelievable!

Here's a poser for you guys. What would you think of a Who episode done in 3D? The TARDIS spinning around your living room! Daleks coming straight at you. The Doctor pointing the sonic screwdriver into the room. I think it would be cool.
And what about adding that multidirectional sound system to the 3D? You would wear headphones as well as glasses. It would sound like you are right in their amongst the characters.
MCH
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 6th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Wonkakid wrote:I agree completely. I don't really like them being wedged into old DW stories. It is good, at least, that we're given the option. But they do look a bit out of place. Not unlike breast implants on a nun.

Rob
Chicago

Nuns need love too, Rob.

But I do think they need to be sensitive to the source material with CGI. I like to have both options, but surely it can't be difficult to make something in keeping with the original these days.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby metalheadjay on July 11th, 2011, 5:17 am

It depends on how it's done and the people who are doing it. Some CGI looks extremely realistic, however a vast majority of the time it looks terrible. Like you know there is nothing there and it came right from a computer. Low budget flicks typically have the worst CGI. Mostly because the lack of cash and people inexperienced with the process. Just watch any of those "made for the SyFy channel" flicks. They're not only bad films in general, the CGI is terrible as well. I know some stuff just can't be created by hand but I would still rather have a good makeup/effects artist creating a majority of the special effects in films. I don't know. I just rather have a guy in a well made monster/creature suit than something made on a computer that doesn't look natural or move realistically. Just watch "Alien". That film still works better than most CGI flicks. It's because you know something is there and a lot of hard work was generated to make it look as convincing as possible. I just think it takes someone who is experienced and extremely knowledgeable to the CGI process to create convincing CGI. After all, a vast majority stinks.

When it comes to classic Doctor Who. I do think the CGI looks out of place and really adds nothing. After all, Classic Who has substance. It's about story, acting, atmosphere, and characterization. When everything is great besides the special effects, who cares? The effects are irrelevant although I must say that the campy 1970's effects do have a pleasing warmth to them. I always thought those Zygon outfits looked pretty cool.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Krono's on August 18th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I so do wish they'd given us the option of CGI on Revenge Of The Cybermen. :( As for CGI in general, just look at John Carpenters The Thing!
Krono's

Postby Captain Rum on August 19th, 2011, 5:22 am

I'm glad they go for the option of either being able to watch it on dvd with or without the extra CGI. CGI's fine if it's not overdone and adds to the story rather than overwhelming it.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby ThetaSigma on December 14th, 2011, 10:04 pm

CGI in and of itself is tacky if there is nothing more to it than that as proven by modern Who series who overrely on it sometimes. AS for classic serials, I am generally against it being included in the original stories.
ThetaSigma

Postby Krono's on December 22nd, 2011, 8:01 pm

ThetaSigma wrote:CGI in and of itself is tacky if there is nothing more to it than that as proven by modern Who series who overrely on it sometimes. AS for classic serials, I am generally against it being included in the original stories.

I don't mind, so long as we have a choice. :ugeek:
Krono's

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years