Crash course

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in June to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Crash course

Postby anthonyz on June 4th, 2011, 5:39 am

Dear Tom,

I have heard that in order to secure a role, actors often "embellish" their talents and abilities (such as being able to operate a vehicle, speak in a certain accent, ride horses, swordfight or scuba dive, etc), only to rapidly learn that new skill before filming commences. Have you ever had to rapidly acquire a new ability in this way? ;)

Please feel free not to anwer this question if it gets you into trouble!

With kind regards (and thank you for continuing to be my hero),

Anthony
(Australia)
anthonyz

Re: Crash course

Postby Tom Baker on June 21st, 2011, 1:16 pm

Anthony,

Once when I was being interviewed for "Dial M For Murder", which I had not read, the director asked me if I could ride a horse. I said yes, and rushed off to have 2 lessons on a very old horse who could scarcely trot: it staggered rather. One lesson in the morning and another in the PM. When I got home I found the script on the mat and raced through it. No horse! But I got good reviews for whatever part I played. I quite enjoyed the part which was unusual for me as I can't say I have enjoyed many of the plays I have done, especially the comedies which always cause strife between the actors. I'm pretty pleased that it's almost over now.

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for June 2011