Unique Tom Baker portrait to raise money for Charity

This is where everyone (Members and the Mods) can post news and announcements to do with the Forum, the Website, or indeed about Tom himself.

Moderator: Moderator

Unique Tom Baker portrait to raise money for Charity

Postby Chantal on June 7th, 2011, 2:13 pm

There is a chance to own a unique portrait of Tom in his role as Doctor Who while raising money for Alder Hey Children's Hospital - the one off portrait by a professional artist was part of the Liverpool Discovers Public art event and one of only 22 great Liverpool people chosen to adorn city street lamps. The proceeds from sale of the portraits (priced between £500 - £750) will go towards Liverpool Unites' target of raising £500,000 for Alder Hey. See www.liverpooldiscovers.co.uk for more info.
Last edited by Chantal on June 9th, 2011, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

Re: Unique Tom Baker portrait to raise money for Charity

Postby tracy on June 7th, 2011, 6:31 pm

:D welcome to toms dinner table chantal enjoy your self .thank you for the information to raise money for the charity . hope we see you alot on here its a great place :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on June 7th, 2011, 10:11 pm

It's a really cool looking work of art. Way outta this Whovians price range.
They had these painted panels up on what looks to be light poles in different areas.
The Doctor Tom one is a full figure painting with hat and scarf and an award winning smile, lol.
It took a lot of searching on the site to find a picture of it. The picture I found was one submitted by someone that saw it displayed on a pole and took a photo of it. I think it was hanging in Whitechapel in front of a "lobster pot fish and chips".

As they were hanging on a pole out in the weather for a time it's hard to gauge the condition. But hey, it's for A children's hospital charity right?

MCH
MCH

Postby Chantal on June 8th, 2011, 9:59 am

Hi there - all the portraits are in excellent condition - once taken down from the exhibition, they were 'touched up; by a professional artist - painted onto a steel sheet, they're pretty robust too, so great for indoors, or out. If anyone would like a hi-res version of the image, just ask.

Thanks to everyone who viewed the post.

Chantal
Chantal

Postby Forum Moderator on June 8th, 2011, 10:45 am

Regular members know our rule about not posting URL addresses, but I have to admit myself, the rule is tucked away somewhere in various posts about Forum Guidelines. In this instance, I can see it's for a good cause and of very definite interest to Tom Baker fans. Therefore, I’m not going to remove the URL for the time being, but if you have something to promote when you join Tom’s Forum, please check with the Moderators first.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby MCH on June 8th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Chantal,

Was the original painting done on the steel sheet? What kind of paint was used? How tall is Tom's painting? How heavy is it?

That website is hard to navigate and doesn't give it's information easily. I finally figured out that if I typed Tom Baker in the websites search engine I could see a picture of the painting. Not a very good one though. Hopefully they will afford any prospective buyers a better photo and more information.

Thank you for telling us about the painting of Tom Baker for auction. :D

MCH
MCH

Postby Chantal on June 9th, 2011, 10:08 am

Hi MCH - I have replied to you about some of your queries - additionally the portrait is approximately 4ft high and the steel template has been painted onto directly- I'm not sure exactly what paint was used, but it would have been sealed to be resistant to the elements - I will however bring up your queries with our artist liaison and come back to you.

Thanks

Chantal
Chantal

Postby MCH on June 9th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Chantal,

Thank you very much for your answers to my questions.

I had to laugh when I read that the painting was 4 feet tall. Tom is 6'3". It would be like Tom's mini me ! :lol:
What a hoot!

Thanks again!
MCH
MCH

Postby pattie anne on June 9th, 2011, 9:39 pm

dear chantal -

welcome to TOM's Place. and only the best in selling the art.

sadly, items like this are really, truly, way out of my "play money" range for TOM/doc stuff. most of the TIME we are looking at a $20 caps - top! :lol: though a couple of TIMEs i have gone slightly over that when it was something i just could not live without. :mrgreen:

however, not to despair, as there truly, really are a couple of Members of TOM WHO actually CAN pay for items in that range.

again welcome and ta, for the post.

"data most satisfactory, mistress."
K9
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on June 9th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Yes,
I'm afraid that it is out of my price range as well. I've been saving money for a trip to England to see Tom if and when he can do another signing.

I'm sure that you will find a buyer. There are plenty of peeps that are Doctor Tom gaga that have deeper pockets.
Thank you for sending me the larger picture. I can look at that and think, "I coulda had it!" ;)

MCH
MCH

Next

Return to News and Announcements