We met at Panopticon West 1984 in St. Louis

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in June to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

We met at Panopticon West 1984 in St. Louis

Postby SirBruce on June 5th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Tom,

This is not really much of a question as I can't expect you to remember; you've met so many fans over the years. However, this was certainly one of the most memorable moments of my young life!

I was only 13 and officially 4 foot 11 and 3/4 inches; at 6 foot 3 inches you towered over me. I had to wear a half-length scarf my mom knitted for me because a full-size one was too long! You were really concerned that I was so small and you told, "Eat more porridge!" Then someone in the crowd said something funny I don't remember and we both cracked up laughing (2nd picture). You can see from the pictures that there's never been a kid happier to meet his hero.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy seeing the pictures, and that you'd be happy to learn that I eventually did get my growth spurt and now I'm six foot even! So thank you very much for your advice and for all you've done for Doctor Who over the years.
SirBruce

Re: We met at Panopticon West 1984 in St. Louis

Postby Tom Baker on June 22nd, 2011, 9:02 pm

Dear Sir Bruce

Eat more porridge? Did I say that? Did I really say that?

It certainly looks a happy picture and I shall keep it safe and from time to time I shall look at it and read your words and I'll be happy.

Warmest wishes

from old Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for June 2011