Should the next doctor be a woman?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Should the next doctor be a woman?

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 1st, 2011, 2:47 pm

I seem to remember Tom saying something about a female doctor when he was leaving the show.

Do you think it's time we had a female doctor? I do. I think it would give the show a fresh slant.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Should the next doctor be a woman?

Postby tracy on June 1st, 2011, 3:31 pm

i would like to see joanna lumley play the dr or julie walters ive not seen dr who since tom left but would see what it would be like if those 2 where choosen :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on June 1st, 2011, 3:51 pm

Absolutely, definately NOT! No way. No! No! NO! The Doctor is male, he has a granddaughter. How on earth can he be a woman? Ridiculous!
Toothy Grin

Postby tracy on June 1st, 2011, 4:06 pm

yes but the female dr still could have a grandchild we are talking about acomplete regeneration here
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on June 1st, 2011, 5:17 pm

The woman who played Captain Adeline in 'Waters of Mars ' would be a good lady Doctor.

If they ever do a female Doctor, they can't write her 'girly' the only way it works is if they treat her like every other Doctor.
tch

Postby MCH on June 1st, 2011, 6:15 pm

We had a glimpse of the Doctor as a woman when Tennant's Doctor was temporarily taken over by the stretchy faced lady. Lady Cassandra.

Although there could be some fun stories about a woman Doctor, my vote would be against it. The Doctor is a man through and through, lol.

MCH
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 1st, 2011, 6:24 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:Absolutely, definately NOT! No way. No! No! NO! The Doctor is male, he has a granddaughter. How on earth can he be a woman? Ridiculous!

As Tracy says, a female doctor could have a grandchild as easily as a male. I don't think a gender change would be any more ridiculous than the basic principle of the character having a complete change of appearance. If you can accept that then a gender change isn't much of a stretch.

It would take a very brave producer to do it though!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tracy on June 1st, 2011, 7:00 pm

:D just remember this is a light hearted disscuion we are having we dont want to turn it in to a argument
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on June 2nd, 2011, 9:24 am

But Susan referred to the Doctor as GrandFATHER. After 11 incarnations as a male and only 2 left, it makes no sense whatsoever that he should become a woman. If they ever make the character female I will stop watching.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 2nd, 2011, 2:38 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:But Susan referred to the Doctor as GrandFATHER. After 11 incarnations as a male and only 2 left, it makes no sense whatsoever that he should become a woman. If they ever make the character female I will stop watching.

Haven't they scrapped the incarnation limit yet? Oh well, they soon will if the programme continues to be a commerical success in coming years...they'll find some plot device to get round it.

I'm surprised a female doctor seems such an unacceptable continuity breech to you, TG. How about a doctor of different ethnicity...do you think that could work?

I'd just like to see them do something a bit radical given that the premise of the doctor being reborn should allow for a multitude of possibilities, but only a few have been explored.
Graceful Leonard

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years