Let's go (Harold) Camping

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Let's go (Harold) Camping

Postby Graceful Leonard on May 21st, 2011, 11:57 am

So, is anyone here going with the chosen today?

I did think about it myself, but then realised I'd already booked a holiday for October, so I'm afraid judgement must wait at least until after that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13468131
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Let's go (Harold) Camping

Postby jaybee on May 21st, 2011, 2:07 pm

Well, so far I seem to be intact and everyone around me can still see me; so I guess I've either not gone yet or (more likely), I'm not one of the "chosen" and won't be going.

And, like you Leo, I've booked a holiday in September; so I'd prefer it if I didn't get sent off until after I'm back from that.

The true test will be if we're all still here tomorrow morning!
jaybee

Postby tch on May 21st, 2011, 3:17 pm

Anyone that doesn't get raptured ( is that actually a verb?) is invited to my sunday brunch and looting party.

I personally hope the end of the world happens after tonight's new Doctor Who episode.
tch

Postby MCH on May 21st, 2011, 3:41 pm

I totally forgot about the episode and I'm out of town. Drat! I can't record it. :(

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 21st, 2011, 9:35 pm

If the Christian community belives in the Bible as the centerpiece of their culture and beliefs, then they will not be worried by such allegations made by their fellow man. The Bible states quite clearly that no man save the Father knows when the end is coming. Not angels or mankind. This man you speak of has already ruined his credibility by originally claiming the end was in 1994. That clearly was not the case and so it will be this time too.
Prydonian

Postby Gold Usher on May 22nd, 2011, 1:48 pm

Looks like God/Mother Earth thumbed the nose at Mr Camping.
One small Icelandic volcanic eruption does not the end of the world make (unless it's in your back yard ;) ).

Remember the saying "Time and tide wait for no man"?
I would say the end of the world will come eventually in about 5 billion years but at no man's bidding. Unless some meglomanic has his finger on Oppenheimer's deadly child and can't wait to control what's going to be left (not much).

Have a second helping of egg, Mr Camping. Savor it well.

Otherwise, in a more sensible vein...if you want to read a doomsday book, read "On The Beach" by Nevil Shute.
Gold Usher

Postby tch on May 22nd, 2011, 3:10 pm

and this is the second time he's gotten it wrong.

How does this guy still have a following? What does he say to cover this kind of mistake? ' I forgot to carry the two' doesn't seem like it would cover it.

Now, we wait till 2012 and see if the Mayans are any better at predicting this stuff than Mr. Camping.
tch

Postby Prydonian on May 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm

Like I said, those who believe these people need to remember what the Bible says about no man knowing when the end is coming.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on May 23rd, 2011, 12:06 am

I don't want to know ahead of time. I'd be a nervous wreck, lol.
MCH
MCH

Postby Who dat? on May 23rd, 2011, 2:27 pm

Now, we wait till 2012 and see if the Mayans are any better at predicting this stuff than Mr. Camping.

tch,
The Mayans didn't predict anything for 2012. It's merely the end of that cycle of years used to make the current calendar. I have a Mayan friend Who is very knowledgeable about their heritage and he has said that nothing will happen beyond a bunch of people upset because they have to buy new calendars :lol: I believe him.
Pat
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Next

Return to Miscellaneous