The time war

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The time war

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 19th, 2011, 10:59 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 2:43 am

I find that I must take Clara's side in this particular discussion.
Prydonian

Postby tch on May 20th, 2011, 3:45 am

Well, not having seen season 6, I can't speak to anything that's happened then, but all I've seen in New 1-5 is building on what came before. That's what Doctor Who does.
Each Doctor adds a bit to the lore, and each creative team pushes the story along some more.
If they didn't, we wouldn't be heading toward the shows 50th aniversary.

Some changes were liked some, weren't, each new Doctor has been met with a mix of excitement/anxiety. I've been watching this show long enough to have heard a half dozen times how 'so-and-so is ruining it! this is the end!"

and yet, here we are.

and BG, gets no slack cut from me, 'reimagining' is every bit as lazy as whatever huge crime you are accusing Moffat of, Clara. Taking name recognition of something and then changing whatever you feel like is weak and done by people that want it both ways.
Make your own.
Didn't like it in that show, don't like in comic books, and didn't like it in the New Star Trek movie.

and this is a personal and petty thing, but ...Toasters...? Really? An alien culture nicknames the big, bad that is trying to kill them Toasters?
Did I stop watching before the episode where hot bread pops out of one of the Cylons?
tch

Postby tch on May 20th, 2011, 3:48 am

and back to the Time War:

I hope the Movelions played a part in it. Despite the dreadlocks, they were an interesting idea that never got used after 'Destiny' and I kept hoping they'd come back.

and the Mechanoids. Love the fight between them and the daleks in the "Chase'. If they were sent out to prepare worlds for colonization, there must be more of them out there.
tch

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 7:09 pm

tch,

I also wish the Movellans had made at least 1 more appearance in the classic series. They were an interesting foil for the Daleks in their one and only appeaearance. I know there is a book that suggests the Movellan armies were originally made by the Daleks but that book is not considered canon for the obvious reasons that it tried rewriting most of Dalek history.

The Time War interested me from the getgo of the new series and it is a pity nothing was really done with it in the subsequent seasons. The concept of Daleks flying through space exterminating Time Lords in their Tardises was an exciting one.
Prydonian

Postby tch on May 22nd, 2011, 11:29 pm

New Time War thought, that also fixes Who continuity:

In order to be the match of the Daleks, the Time Lords create an army of soldiers with unlimited regenerations.

We then explain why the 12 limited regenerations thing is done away with and get the cool visual of an army of constantly regenerating Time soldiers fighting an army of Daleks.

and then I move on to my brilliant idea of the Time Lords needing war machines of their own, so they make an army of K-9s...
tch

Previous

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me