Which of Tom's stories should be released next?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Which of Tom's stories should be released next?

Postby John on January 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm

The Talons of Weng Chiang has been confirmed for a re release along with five other re released stories as part of the Revisitations boxset.

It is also expected that Robots of Death will be included, as a new commentary with Tom and Louise was recorded a while ago.

All the stories have undergone enhanced restorartion work and will include new special features.
John

Postby ivocaliban on March 9th, 2010, 5:52 pm

John wrote:The Talons of Weng Chiang has been confirmed for a re release along with five other re released stories as part of the Revisitations boxset.

It is also expected that Robots of Death will be included, as a new commentary with Tom and Louise was recorded a while ago.

All the stories have undergone enhanced restorartion work and will include new special features.

Just to update this a bit it now appears that The Talons of Weng-Chiang (Special Edition) will be the only Tom Baker story included with the UK/R2 release of Revistations. (Although there is likely to be a Revisitations, Vol. 2 next year.) For those interested, the other stories will include The Caves of Androzani Special Edition (with Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor) and Doctor Who: The TV Movie (with Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor).

As Doctor Who: The TV Movie is unlikely to see a North America/R1 release due to ongoing licensing issues, I suspect Talons SE and Caves SE to be released individually in R1 format.
ivocaliban

Postby JohnSmith on March 13th, 2010, 11:14 pm

John wrote:I believe Terror of the Zygons is being held back until the final year of Doctor Who releases and will form part of a boxset entitled The End.

This from the Zeta Minor website:-

Box set featuring one story from each of the first seven Doctors, to be released to celebrate the completion of 2 Entertain's 'Doctor Who' DVD range.

The set will feature an early Hartnell story, the last remaining Patrick Troughton story ('The Krotons'), the popular Jon Pertwee story 'The Daemons', an equally popular Tom Baker story ('Terror of the Zygons'), the two-part Peter Davison story 'The Awakening', an upgraded re-issue of the Colin Baker story 'Vengeance on Varos', and an appropriately-named Sylvester McCoy story.

I have so waited for Terror of the Zygons to come out and now find that it is being held back until the end of all the releases. Oh hum! *starts tapping fingers on desk*... It's going to be a while isn't it?
I used to know an ancient remedy for mad dogs. I must look it up sometime. Good library here, have you?
JohnSmith

Postby Graham Sutton on May 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm

Yes I agree and am delighted that 'The Seeds of Doom' will be released in 2011.
Graham Sutton

Postby Doctor John Smith on July 9th, 2010, 2:46 pm

I might be bucking the trend here, but I'd like to see Meglos sooner rather than later - 'cos Tom's brilliant in it as the villain and the hero!
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Postby hackenbush on July 14th, 2010, 9:26 pm

If we really do have to wait an age for Terror of the Zygons, let's have The Sunmakers next, please? Baker and Holmes - a dream team!
hackenbush

Postby DoctorWhoMAD on September 18th, 2010, 8:09 pm

I think Terror of the Zygons should be released next but i do like them all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DoctorWhoMAD

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 20th, 2010, 11:26 pm

I think The Daemons is the most wanted release of all for those of us of a certain age. So to hold that and Zygons back until the end would be a very, very unpopular move, in my opinion. They could load each of those stories with extra features and sell them as special editions individually if they really want to milk it, price-wise.

Ah, well at least we'll have SoD soon. Next, I'd quite like the one where he and Sarah Jane are in a deserted village and have duplicates of themselves...can't remember the title, but liked the story.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on May 18th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Your thinking of "The Android Invasion", Leonard. Which would be great to see get the DVD treatment.

I too would enjoy seeing "The Sunmakers" On DVD sooner rather than later. It was always a favorite when I was a kid. It was a fantastic, witty serial with some nice welcome humor added in for good measure.
Prydonian

Postby Toothy Grin on May 19th, 2011, 10:04 am

The Sun Makers is due for release this August I believe. Of those currently without a scheduled release date I think I'd most like to see The Face of Evil.
Toothy Grin

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years