Had Romana Met the Master...

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Had Romana Met the Master...

Postby Prydonian on May 5th, 2011, 2:39 am

Would she have been as smug and sure of herself around him as she was with the Doctor? What say you? Would you have enjoyed seeing a Master story in either Season 16 or 17, at the height of Romana's involvement with the programme?
Prydonian

Re: Had Romana Met the Master...

Postby bcm77 on May 5th, 2011, 9:59 pm

It would have made for some intresting scenes that's for sure. I think the Master would probably have tried to manipulate Romana in some way but she would have been too smart for him...I could see him have a grudging respect for her in much the same way as he did the Doctor.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on May 6th, 2011, 3:58 am

I can really see it a scene where the Master has captured Romana and her going back and forth between trying to be brave and being almost offended that a Time Lord would act the way the Master does, and Anthony Aliey would be at his most sinister, mustache twirling best toying with her.

Man, that would have been a great story.
Especially when you add in how the Master would have reacted to K-9.
tch

Postby Prydonian on May 6th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Oh it would have been a blast if the Master had met K9! Imagine that, he might say, a robot dog! heh heh heh heh
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 6th, 2011, 10:49 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 6th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Oh without a doubt, Clara! Romana I (Mary Tamm) would definitely try to analyse him. She was rather good at that sort of thing, wasn't she? more so than after the actress change to Lalla Ward IMO.It would make for excellent television. I always kind of hated that Romana never met the Master in the TV stories.
Last edited by Prydonian on May 11th, 2011, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 5:32 am

Yeah, Pry. If you're talking about Romana 2 that is. She specialized in being smug and having too much attitude. If it was her, she'd get the Doctor into way too much trouble with the Master. Whereas Romana 1 would not only psychoanalyze the Master..she would outsmart him and the Doctor would have an easier go of handling him.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on May 11th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Yeah Jay, Romana II would have been overconfident in a more dangerous way than Romana I in dealing with the Master. It would make it hard for the Doctor to defeat him. I wonder about these things. Would it have worked to have more TB stories with the Master in them, or not? What would TB's companions who never met the Master think of him?
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 18th, 2011, 3:43 pm

That's why I wished Graham Williams would have stayed on as producer. If that was the case, Baker probably would have stayed for another two or three seasons and then we most likely would have had a few more "Master" stories.

By the way, I recently saw the "Remington Steele" episode with Tom from 1984 and Tom looked no different than he did in "Doctor Who". I was just thinking...it's a shame that Tom was doing a bit part as a quiet villain in this show when he could have still been playing the lead in "Doctor Who" at this time.
Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on May 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I have seen the Remington Steele episode and thought it failed to make use of Tom''s natural talents. I agree that more Tom would have been great but at least we got what we did. I understand he actually resigned from the series after or around the Key to Time season due to arguments with producer Graham Williams.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years