Is All Religion Just Fiction?

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Is All Religion Just Fiction?

Postby miguel of the moon on May 7th, 2011, 3:38 pm

What is more ridiculous than a world with a tooth fairy and Santa Clause is a world without them! :D

Given that fact, I still would opt-out of taking Fox News seriously on pretty much everything :!:
As for me, I shall live like a Narnian even if there isn't any Narnia.
-Puddleglum
miguel of the moon

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 8th, 2011, 3:38 am

miguel of the moon wrote:What is more ridiculous than a world with a tooth fairy and Santa Clause is a world without them! :D

Given that fact, I still would opt-out of taking Fox News seriously on pretty much everything :!:

Adults have gotten along quite well without a Santa Claus or a tooth fairy. You're talking about kids. How immature should the human race strive to be, exactly?

Actually, I happen to believe in Santa Claus because the Bishop of Myra was in fact a real guy--and as is the case of Jesus' tomb, Santa's tomb is also empty. :D

I'm all in with ya about Fox News!
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 12th, 2011, 3:21 am

Belief in a God does not make one immature.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 12th, 2011, 3:52 am

Believing in any other invisible friend makes a person immature or crazy and I see no reason to make a special exemption for THAT particular invisible friend, especially when one thinks one is actually talking to him.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 21st, 2011, 9:40 pm

Clearly you like making fun at the belief systems of others. No doubt you consider yourself superior to them. God is not invisible, Clara. He is simply too far away from here to be seen but prayer does work if you have faith.
Last edited by Prydonian on May 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 22nd, 2011, 12:31 am

Prydonian wrote:He is simply too far away from here to be seen but prayer does work if you have faith.

It's been proven that it doesn't, sorry. And if God is too far away then he's not everywhere, is he. Nor almighty, nor interested in human affairs.

Of course I find what's ridiculous to be, well, laughable.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby tch on May 22nd, 2011, 5:45 am

What I don't get about prayer, is people also talk about God's divine plan.
If he's got a plan, why do people need prayer?

Does God change his mind? How does that work with the all knowing, wise stuff?
I don't find it laughable, just baffling.
Is prayer a voting system, and if enough people do it, will god change his plans, or is it like the Dr. Suess book with the tiny people living on the dandelion and prayer is just us making enough noise to get gods attention?

also, there is no scientific proof concerning prayer.At most, it lowers stress levels and that sometimes helps, but yoga/meditation/medication does that. So, it's a kind of placebo.
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 22nd, 2011, 5:16 pm

tch wrote:What I don't get about prayer, is people also talk about God's divine plan.
If he's got a plan, why do people need prayer?

Does God change his mind? How does that work with the all knowing, wise stuff?
I don't find it laughable, just baffling.
Is prayer a voting system, and if enough people do it, will god change his plans, or is it like the Dr. Suess book with the tiny people living on the dandelion and prayer is just us making enough noise to get gods attention?

also, there is no scientific proof concerning prayer.At most, it lowers stress levels and that sometimes helps, but yoga/meditation/medication does that. So, it's a kind of placebo.

The baffling parts is what makes it laughable, and here's an update on the prayer thing: there HAS been a scientific study on it and it HAS been PROVEN to not work outside the principles given regarding Buddhist-level meditation. As a matter of fact, Tom Baker's Doctor used it to slow down his heartbeat to the point of feigning death with undetectable vital signs. This sort of thing HAS been done. So has meditation regarding pain control. But meditation of this sort isn't prayer.

As to God's Divine Plan, that's called "predestination" and the free-will believers don't believe in it, sort of. Sometimes they claim there's a plan but stop short of calling it predestination...this, despite the fact that Paul claims that predestination was the case when HE claimed he was chosen. Christians remain conflicted and baffled over predestination vs free will, and I doubt they'll resolve that any time in the foreseeable future.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby tch on May 22nd, 2011, 6:09 pm

Predestination, that's the word I was looking for.
Nice thing about hanging around this site. So many Who fans have extensive vocabularies.

Course, with predestination, it also makes you wonder why people go on about miracles.If it's all part of the plan, it's not a miracle, it's just 'step #128' or whatever.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on May 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm

What? Clara is still with us?

I felt sure she would be one of the chosen!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous