Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby MCH on May 11th, 2011, 3:30 am

Pry,
I liked Mr. Pertwee as well. Reminded me of a snuggly ol' Teddy bear. And his voice was so soothing even when he was getting on someone's case. I looked at his role as Wurtzle Gummage but the character reminded me of a clown and I don't like clowns for some reason. They are repulsive to me. Things we pick up when we are young. You'd think that you'd be able to shake things like that off when you're older. *shrugs* :?
Have you seen the episode where JP pilots the hovercraft? I watched a video where he talked about that scene. It is so funny! He didn't really know how to drive that thing and the director said jump in and go so he did and landed up knocking over some cameras, lol.

Of course, Tom's voice is cool too but in a different way. His voice reminds me of a zany college professor. Authoritative, learned, instructional with enough whimsey to throw you off balance. He certainly has a very distinct and wonderful voice. One thing I find fun about Tom is you never know what he's going to say. Just when you're certain that he will say the sky is blue he goes off on a tangent and talks about how a seagull swiped a fruited hat from off a lady's head, lol. Just like opening a grab bag, you never know what's inside.

MCH
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 6:06 am

bcm77:

I discount everything post Tom from the official canon 8-)
--------------------------------

I would be hard pressed to disagree with that! You have a good point.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 6:17 am

Postby Prydonian on May 4th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Well, in my more bohemian moments from several years ago, I once considered starting a religion called "The Order of Baker".
----------------------------

That is a religion I wouldn't mind subscribing too. At least you'll know the followers don't believe in a man living inside a whale because a book tells them so.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 6:40 am

MCH:

TCH,
There has to be a shop around here somewhere. I'll have to look.
-------------------------

I think Baker ate Bassetts Jelly Babies. They're the most popular and can be found on "Ebay". The price is a little high if you live outside of the UK(USA here) but they're well worth it. They're kinda like fruit slices but with more flavor and not as hard. Also they are covered in powdered sugar which just adds to the appeal for me. They're quite unlike other jelly/gel-type candy. They have their own unique taste. I love 'em! :)

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby bcm77 on May 11th, 2011, 4:30 pm

MCH wrote:One thing I find fun about Tom is you never know what he's going to say. Just when you're certain that he will say the sky is blue he goes off on a tangent and talks about how a seagull swiped a fruited hat from off a lady's head, lol. Just like opening a grab bag, you never know what's inside.
MCH

It's that unpredictability which helps get across the fact the Doctor is an alien more than anything else and nobody since Tom has "got" that aspect of the Doctor's character down anywhere near as effectively.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby MCH on May 11th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Bassets jelly babies.
Ok, thanks Jay!

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 2:39 am

My mother bought me those for Christmas 2 or 3 years in a row recently, at least I believe that was the kind she got. Great fun and awesome taste! And TB was right-orange IS best! Just like he is the best! :lol:
Prydonian

Postby MCH on May 20th, 2011, 4:55 pm

You've got a good hearted mom there pry.
MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 7:00 pm

I know, I inherit my writing abilties from her. :D
Prydonian

Postby mcalldp on June 3rd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Yes. Yes he is. However, I think the actors and stories in the new series are excellent. Creating a love story with Rose, underscoring the sadness of being a Time lord, while bringing back in bits from the entire cannon and mixing it with modern technology has been a real win in my opinion. Who knew we would have to wait for 50 years to see a Dalek go up the great obstacle of stairs properly. Tom is my favorite but I'm very happy with the recent picks and job done.

To be honest, I was a bit hesitant for the series to be revamped in a way that would lessen it but I think it's been right quality and added to a fantastic- and thankfully - ongoing journey.

Now if Tom would just make a cameo.....
~sHiNe oN~
mcalldp

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years