Favourite Tom interview

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Favourite Tom interview

Postby Toothy Grin on March 25th, 2011, 1:34 pm

What's your favourite interview that's been filmed or recorded with Tom over the years? Any interview with Tom is always a good one but I particularly like the "Who on Earth is Tom Baker?" video that was made in the early 90's. What's so good about it is that you're basically getting three lots of Tom in that it takes the approach of Tom Baker speaking to Tom Baker about Tom Baker. This is quite funny seeing Tom playing an interviewer asking questions to himself and at some points the real Tom does double takes at this "interviewer" thinking he has seen him before. The whole video was done around Tom's home in Kent, which was an old church complete with graveyard (including his own gravestone!) and looks fantastic. Plus we get to see Tom cycling madly around country lanes, and speaking with a real parrot on his head! If you haven't seen it get yourself a copy, it's brilliant and a must for any Tom fan.
After that the Myth Makers video with Tom is also very good. Filmed at the location for The Android Invasion, this is almost as enjoyable.
Toothy Grin

Re: Favourite Tom interview

Postby tracy on March 25th, 2011, 3:53 pm

ive loved them all they have been so enjoyable to read .listion to or watch :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby metalheadjay on April 3rd, 2011, 6:58 am

I really enjoyed the "In Confidence" interview(with sociology professor Laurie Taylor). I put a link below. I've been looking for the "Who On Earth Is Tom Baker" video for awhile and can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyway, Tom with his wonderful voice, intellect, and humor is always a great interview. I can literally listen to the man hours on end.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm

I really go for the recent ones published in DWM last year and this year. They offer some good insight that makes them unique and stand out as works of literature. I won both interviews and they are a highlight of their respective issues. I recommend both.
I too would like to get the Who On Earth...? video but do not know if it is available as an american edition that plays on american players or not. :shock:
Prydonian

Postby pattie anne on April 6th, 2011, 12:46 am

dear all -

my FAVE, hands down was:

Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of (an Ex-TimeLord) TOM BAKER

of my over 70 articles (and over 60 newspaper clips) in my personal collection THAT is the one.

first printed in The Times 2006, IT followed TOM around for a typical 24 hour day.

a true FAN, huggy toes moment, no matter how you slice or dice it.

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on April 23rd, 2011, 2:15 am

I can't say which is my favorite interview because there are so many good moments in all the ones I've seen.

One I saw from the 70's where the interviewer from the "Swap Shop" had some really cute things in it such as:
The interviewer freaking himself out about Tom's "Doctor Who stare." :lol: I thought he was going to run away giggling for a moment, lol. And Tom was very obliging to give him a good one.

Also I thought it was very sweet and gentlemanly of him to ask the callers to talk to Liz Sladen. He actually set his phone down so that her time with the caller was more private for her. I thought it was cute how he played with his scarf when she was on the phone with the caller. He even went so far as to switch his body position away from her to give her more privacy. Before that he was leaning in towards Liz and they both had their legs crossed towards one another. I got the feeling that Liz was helping Tom be more comfortable in the interview. Only a guess. But they did work with one another so maybe it was mutual comforting, lol.

On of the questions regarding the length of Tom's scarf Tom proposed sending in a postcard with a guess of how long the scarf is and whoever guessed correctly would get a scarf from Tom. I wonder how many scarves he had to send out? lol

Whenever I watch an interview that was done before Tom's book, "Who on Earth is Tom Baker" came out I can't help but notice how he answers some of the questions. For example, When an interviewer would ask him about what he was doing before he got the Doctor Who part. Tom would talk about working for the construction company or having done some other shows but since I have read the book I just go "WOW"! Tom amazes me he really does. :)

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 10th, 2011, 9:55 pm

MCH,

Thank you so much for posting your observations and thoughts on the Swap Shop which Tom and Elisaebth did so many years ago now. I find it nice that friends can be open with one another and support each other while being interviewed. Thanks for sharing. I found what you had to say enlightening.

Prydonian 8-)
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 6:58 am

Have you guys seen the "Nationwide" interview from late 1978? He has Mary Tamm with him and his facial expressions are hilarious. It's as if he is flabbergasted by his surroundings. It's on "Youtube".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIoXKDZ08V0
metalheadjay

Postby MCH on May 11th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Jay,
Yes I have seen that. I have watched it three times already, lol. Tom seemed about to bust he was so excited. The interviewer looked liked he was having fun as well.

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 11th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Yes, I believe the Nationwide interview is included on one of the Key to Time discs. It was funny to watch. :)
Prydonian

Next

Return to The man himself