Ack Continuity!

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ack Continuity!

Postby The Cloaked One on May 7th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I was not referring to his arrogance now. XD Pertwee was the "I'm a Doctor of everything" and had many harsh exchanges with the Brigadier.
The first was always gruff "My dear boy I'll have you know..."
The second used the underlying thread just for humor "You'll be sad if you kill me, I'm a genius"
The fourth "If you're supposed to be the superior race of the universe, why don't you try climbing after us? Bye-bye!"
But yeah, they give themselves a pat on the back for saving the day, or when they think they have (The first Doctor in Dalek where he thinks he defeated all the daleks with a little thing around his neck.)
Most of the time it was, "Hey Doctor, stay around and come to the party to cele- Doctor?" Whirrr, whirr (whatever sound the Tardis makes as it disappears) The closest he ever got to attending one was in Green Death where Joe Grant decided to stay behind).
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby The Cloaked One on May 7th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I guess I'll call break here, I'm plowing too far too fast here. XD I like talking with you all, but I don't want to wear you guys out (I kind of consider this my thread since I started it off, some I'm less hesitant to reply here than in others). Other news, I'll be putting up a Doctor Who video shortly. It's still missing a scene and audio, so once I get in both, I'll put in the same place as usual. :D
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Prydonian on May 7th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Sounds great let us know when it is available! :D
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on May 15th, 2011, 4:06 pm

On the subject of continuity I think Neil Gaiman has just delivered a story that is so far beyond anything else since the 2005 revival that future writers should be locked in a room and made to watch it repeatedly until they "get it" because it was a near perfect hybrid of Classic era storytelling with modern visual slickness.

The revelation that the Doctor's perfect "marriage" is a symbiotic one with his TARDIS makes much more sense than him falling for a dimwit like Rose or an overly contrived fake "badass" like River Song and if you look at the past becomes even more believable eg,

The TARDIS has constantly refused to go exactly where the Doctor wants it to.

The 3rd Doctor referred to the TARDIS as being alive at least once.

Tom called her "old girl" several times.

Gaiman obviously knows his Who history and used the above to craft a story that expands on the above and the last scene perfectly demonstrates the difference in how an alien like the Doctor would percieve something such as emotional contentment to us humans.

The Doctor has never been one of us, never should be written to behave like one of us ( although RTD tried to change all that ) and any writer that thinks otherwise should not be allowed within a million miles of the show.

The chemistry between Matt Smith & Suranne Jones was so good I'd like to see Amy & Rory written out and a series where the Doctor just travels with Idris/TARDIS because it's about time the Doctor had another companion who was on the same level intellectually.
Last edited by bcm77 on May 18th, 2011, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 15th, 2011, 5:12 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby The Cloaked One on May 15th, 2011, 9:46 pm

The way I perceived events was a bit between you two guys. XD The Tardis is not exactly alive though in Nu Who it is made of organic material. The Tardis has two very important functions, it chooses the location, usually, and it allows the Doctor to regenerate, as first mentioned by the 2nd in Power of the Daleks. The First, while dying, was saying basically nothing but, "I must get back to the Tardis" and the 2nd stated the link. Since then, every Doctor has died either in, or near the Tardis, Tom Baker having been the furthest away leading to the Fifth possibly having a 'failed' regeneration.
Too put any more emphasis on the Tardis is going too far, just keep in simple. I don't mind a bit of slapstick here and there, such as almost every room in the Tardis looking the same but my mind would snap if I saw the Doctor oogling the Tardis and reminiscing about first trips, the Tardis' favorite location, etc. XD
In essence, I consider the Tardis to have more 'mystic' qualities, where the audience is never completely sure that its alive or not, and I would not want to bring too much attention to this question.
The Cloaked One

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 16th, 2011, 1:33 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby The Cloaked One on May 16th, 2011, 3:49 am

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Goa'oald. I know the Valeyard from the Trial of a Timelord though, I thought that was what they were referencing which would be a move in the right direction.

In my mind, Timelord's are still limited to 13 lives as set by Rassilon.
Timelords can live forever barring accidents- 2nd Doctor
13 is the limit by genetics. What happens to the Tardis when a timelord finally dies, no one knows, perhaps it would normally return to Gallifrey if Gallifrey still existed, perhaps it sits and waits for the next person to 'borrow' it, perhaps it breaks/dies. Who really knows at this point.

As for Timelords having more than 13 lives, Moffat is working at that. In the Sarah Jane Adventures, Matt Smith claimed to have 500 lives. As far as I understand what previously limited him to 13 lives was the bureaucracy of the Time Lords, but now that they're all dead this no longer affects him. This seems goofy since the Timelords would just arbitrarily set up a number and wait to die since they could putatively change it at any time.
I stick with the number being 13 as set by Rassilon. When the Doctor dies the 13th time, that's where I leave the series because it has ended. The 'old' era would officially be over and everything else would be something different.
I'm not saying that this is the end of the line for Doctor Who. I know a perfectly legitimate route they could go that would reinforce the old Who bringing the First Four more into prominence. But I want to be able to animate these ideas myself, so more on them when I get closer to it. Me art still stinks of last week's meat. XD
The Cloaked One

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 16th, 2011, 4:57 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby The Cloaked One on May 16th, 2011, 6:08 am

Ah, ok. It's been years since I've seen Stargate, I saw the movie and most of the first season. I don't quite make the connection when someone gives a shout out to a show while still talking about another one. XD
I don't poke the Hornet's nest, that's why I'm not on any Nu Who website. I know what to expect when if I were to go, so I don't bother. A large faction there probably has not seen Old Who at all, another faction will be from the Fifth Doctor on. the JNT Who fans tend to have a liking also for RTD and Moffat since there are many linking ideas between the eras. The fans of the First Four, however, have the least linking and tend to just kind of shake their heads.
The Cloaked One

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous