Best of TB's Master Stories?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Best of TB's Master Stories?

Postby Prydonian on May 5th, 2011, 2:36 am

How does the Fandom at this Forum rate Tom's clashes with the Master, in his various forms, in The Deadly Assassin, The Keeper of Traken, and Logopolis? Which story is the best and which one provides the most intriguing look into the former friendship of these rival Time Lords?

Prydonian 8-)
Prydonian

Re: Best of TB's Master Stories?

Postby tch on May 5th, 2011, 3:28 am

Deadly Assassian was the best, but I liked Keeper of Traken, because I saw it pre-internet, so it took me completely by surprise that was going to show.

I'm lukewarm on Logopolis, though the scene where the Doctor and the Master have to join forces and shake hands is pretty cool.
Shame that Tom never got to do a story with Roger Delgado. That would have been epic.
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on May 5th, 2011, 11:23 am

I think Logopolis would be the best of the three as it's the only one where the Master really seems like the Master, as he is in 'human' form as opposed to the decayed state of the other 2 stories. All 3 are cracking stories however!
Toothy Grin

Postby bcm77 on May 5th, 2011, 9:50 pm

"The Deadly Assassin" which for me is the 3rd best story of Tom's run.

Although it would have been fantastic to see Tom share the screen with Roger Delgado it is unlikely it would have happened as before he died Delgado had already asked to leave. The initial plans were drawn up for a story where the Master sacrificed himself to save the universe from some catastrophe which would effectively redeem him for a lifetime of evil.

Delgado also suggested that the Master could possibly be revealed as the Doctor's brother because their relationship was similar to a pair of feuding siblings.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on May 5th, 2011, 11:04 pm

bcm77: you are saddening me, by bringing all that reality into my geeky Doctor/Master dream scenario.

I'd heard about the brother idea, but am glad they never did it.
I prefer my Doctor/Master relationship to be a rivalry and based on two old friends that went their seperate ways and the Doctor always having the faint hope that he might someday rehabilitate the Master.
tch

Postby bcm77 on May 6th, 2011, 12:03 am

tch wrote:bcm77: you are saddening me, by bringing all that reality into my geeky Doctor/Master dream scenario.

I'd heard about the brother idea, but am glad they never did it.
I prefer my Doctor/Master relationship to be a rivalry and based on two old friends that went their seperate ways and the Doctor always having the faint hope that he might someday rehabilitate the Master.

I agree on the brother thing, although we know the Doctor has had a family I'd sooner any close relations were kept offscreen as for me it would take away some of the air of mystery that makes him so intresting.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on May 6th, 2011, 3:54 am

Aside from Susan coming back, I'd want all references to the Doctor's family kept vague.
We don't need to know more than the couple off handed remarks he's made through the years.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on May 11th, 2011, 5:20 am

Very hard to beat "The Deadly Assassin" but I love 'em all. The Master stories from the Tom Baker and Pertwee eras are the best.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 12th, 2011, 1:29 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 12th, 2011, 3:08 am

Drax! He was quite a character! he called the Doctor by his Academy nickname, Theta Sigma, or Thete. :) And I must agree with Clara. The early years of the Doctor should be an open field to explore and wander around in. Think of the great stories one could write based on that era.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years