Your views on conformity and brainwashing

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in April 2011 to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you have a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he will announce the news on his website.
From May 2011, Tom will answer a maximum of 15 questions per month. Questions which do not meet the above criteria will be rejected.

Your views on conformity and brainwashing

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Hi Tom,

My question this month has to do with how man is so easily manipulated and gullible. I happen to be irreligious like yourself and I refuse to be something I'm not. I'm perfectly content with being me. So, why do you think some people are so easily manipulated and brainwashed to be something they're not. Is it peer pressure to be liked by a certain group? Mob mentality perhaps? Lack of intellect or education? Or are some people just downright evil(greed at the cost of others)? One of the reasons why I loved you(and still do) as the Doctor was because you were so unlike previous Doctors like Jon Pertwee(the aristocratic dandy) for example. He was indeed a wonderful actor but it was YOUR Doctor that I could always relate too the most. You struck me as being the anti-establishment, nonconformist, Liberal Bohemian that was a true individual. The Doctor that highly valued intellect, creativity, science, and realistic, honest morals. So what are your views on conformity and brainwashing? Why do you think some are so content to go along with the herd and be lemmings(as I like to refer to them)? Are they afraid to deviate from what they perceive to be the norm? I have my own views on this subject but would love to hear yours.

P.S. When I'm having a bad day, I sometimes watch one of your "Who" stories and it instantly cheers me up and brightens my day. That smile, voice, and humor can't be matched. You have a wonderful gift and I highly admire it.

Jay
metalheadjay

Re: Your views on conformity and brainwashing

Postby Tom Baker on May 1st, 2011, 11:59 am

Jay,

Hard questions. Human beings are not entirely rational and very vulnerable to what they are exposed to when young. I suppose the claptrap from parents and mediocre teachers has a big influence on us. And the pressures from lots of other sources can persuade us of practically anything. It's especially hard to remain one's own self when these pressures are applied. But we must hang in and hope for the best. Of course, discovering who one really is causes great stress and lots of people give up the struggle and abandon individuality and are just blown about by fads and crazes and swallow the guff that's in the air masquerading as wisdom. I'm not offering answers, rather sharing your dilemma and hoping it might console you to belong to so large a group.

Stand your ground, Jay.

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for April 2011