Adric

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Adric

Postby MCH on April 19th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Just a comment here about what bcm and pry, touched on. I too couldn't believe when they killed Adric off.
As for any other companions being killed there was the face to face slaying of Amy Pond by her fiancé Rory. She died and was then put into the Pandorica for over a thousand years. When her much younger self opened the box, Amy was alive and well.

In a Tennant episode one of his former companions was murdered while the others watched online. I can't recall which episode it was, sorry.

But Adrics death was pretty spectacular and there was his young age.

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on April 19th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Amy's death was shocking but quickly overturned by the next episode. And I believe you are referring to Harriet Jones, who actually was not a real companion to Doctor Number Ten, but a one-time ally.
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 20th, 2011, 3:26 am

Before Adric you have to go all the way back to the first Doctor for the death of a companion. He had two die, the Greek slave girl Katrinna, and interstellar spy Sara Kingdom.

While Harriet Jones ( Prime Minister. Yes, I know) was never a companion, she was one of my favorite characters from the new show and it was very sad when she died.
and I can't help thinking she would have been a cool companion.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 2:15 pm

His character was alright but in reality Waterhouse was quite annoying and irritating. Who was he to tell Tom how to act in a scene?! He should have just been content to be in the mere presence of such a great man and actor! There are many who would have loved to have been in his shoes at that time.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on April 25th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I just can't believe he slams Tom in his bio. That is going too far. Even Lalla Ward had some things to say about Matthew's behavior.
Prydonian

Postby Toothy Grin on April 26th, 2011, 5:09 pm

His book is an interesting read as you get a good perspective on what it was like to work on Doctor Who in the early 80's during a difficult period, although some of the stuff he says about Tom, like that he had to be dragged out of the pub into rehersals and that the more he drank the sweatier he got I'd take with a pinch of salt.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 26th, 2011, 8:22 pm

I haven't read his book, but if the reports of his attempting to instruct senior actors how to act are true, I am amazed the director allowed it to happen. He should have been put very firmly in his place as a young actor in a comparatively minor role.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on May 1st, 2011, 2:03 am

All the same, I probably will not get a copy of the book as I am VERY particular in what I will read. No offense to Matthew or anything like that.
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on May 1st, 2011, 11:30 pm

It's all BS. Tom was once asked if he ever showed up to a job drunk and I thought he was going to strangle the interviewer for asking such a question. He went on to say that he was very professional and would never do such a thing. He took his work extremely seriously and always wanted to be at his best. Most people who worked with him would tell you the same. Waterhouse simply wants publicity. It's sad that he must stoop so low.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 2nd, 2011, 12:06 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years