Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Postby MCH on April 19th, 2011, 3:22 am

Tom's voice is truly extraordinary!

I agree that he could make an otherwise unbelievable scene believable.
I must admit that I sometimes I've had a hard time telling whether he is joking or being serious. But the more I watch it the more I'm telling the difference between them. Sometimes. :? knowing my antique brain, it'll take a while, lol.

I also like the way he lopes along when running. The Doctor would be striding along then find that the others aren't behind him, lol. Those pesky companions! Always running off or getting lost. Then the Doctor has to risk his neck to get them out of trouble. But many is the time they land up helping him out of a jam, lol. And then how sad for him when the companion leaves.

I always like the scene where Sarah, I think it was her, stayed behind and K9 stayed with his Mistress. Tom went back into the TARDIS and dragged out a box containing a brand new K9. That's a classic scene!

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 20th, 2011, 7:41 pm

It wasn't Sarah; it was Leela.

I just finished a recent review of the Leela era and have begun reviewing the Romana era, noting costuming choices and such (more peculiar costuming to be seen here) and made note as well of K9's choosing to stay with Leela. K9 II was unboxed just before he got his assignment to the Ribos adventure where he was also assigned Romana. The Doctor was remarkably peevish about it. By the time I'd reviewed the Pirate Planet, I noted with great interest that it was written by Douglas Adams...and...

Not only was the loping you mentioned very evident there as well, I got a chuckle about how smoothly the Doctor delivered the line "Don't Panic" while in chains. :lol:

Loping with an extraordinarily long scarf was remarkably unproblematic in this story as well as past ones, and I see he developed another use for his pockets in this regard (scarf-end totes). I also noticed that, by this era, the scarf had developed multiple serious snags in it. :D
Clara Listensprechen

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 2:25 pm

You know that the series is going downhill when the Doctor's keep getting younger. It seems to be more about prettyboy image and style over unique personality, character, and substance. Just a matter of time before we have a teenage Doctor. How about we get Tom to come back for the Doctor's final regeneration body and end the series on a high note?! I think that's the only thing that could save it.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby MCH on April 25th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Clara,

Douglas Adams and don't panic. Why do they ring a bell? :lol: I love Hitch hikers ! And thanks for the clear up on who K9 left with in the episode where the Doctor takes out K9 Mach two. But didn't a K9 leave with Sarah Jane too at some when ? She had a K9 in the Sarah Jane adventures. I can't think of when she got him. :?

As for Doctor Who, I liked the scene where Romana was regenerating and she tried different looks. And of course how Tom responded to them. Especially the really tall version, lol.

MCH
MCH

Postby tch on April 25th, 2011, 7:51 pm

MCH: Sarah Jane got her K-9 during the 'K-9 and Company'' special.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 25th, 2011, 9:00 pm

FYI MCH:The Doctor sent a third K9 offscreen to Sarah Jane in the aforementioned special which was meant to-but failed-to start a spinoff series focusing on Sarah Jane and K9. This is years before The Sarah Jane Adventures, mind.
Prydonian

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years