The Masque of Mandragora

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Masque of Mandragora

Postby MCH on April 7th, 2011, 9:14 pm

I was watching this today and ran across a delightful scene. The Duke to be's uncles men ran across the Doctor who was asking some peasants if they had seen a girl around. Because in the scene before this the Doctor had been knocked unconscious and His companion was spirited away by some characters in black hooded robes. The soldiers, on horseback, asked to see the Doctors papers. The Doctor had an apple that he had been eating in his hand. He impaled the apple on the tip of the soldiers sword, that was pointing directly at the doctor, as he reached inside his coat pocket presumably to get some papers. Instead of papers he produced a twisty noise maker, gave it some turns which scared the horses, and then proceeded to grab a riderless horse to make good his escape.

Had I been drinking tea whilst watching that scene where he stabs the apple on the sword tip I would have spat it out or choked, lol. It was such an unexpected course of action. It was brilliant ! It was whimsey at it's whimseyest! ;)

I really liked that scrumptious long coat the Doctor had on. I wonder if it was as soft and petable as it looked ?

MCH
Last edited by MCH on April 9th, 2011, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Re: The Masque of Mandragora

Postby Wonkakid on April 8th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if TB made that up on the spot and they decided to keep it.
Wonkakid

Postby MCH on April 11th, 2011, 8:14 pm

Another part that I just saw was when Sarah was on the alter about to be sacrificed and the Doctor slides her off and starts carrying her away before any bad guys knows he's even there.

I also like the part where he Wraps his scarf around his own executioners legs to knock him off balance long enough for the Doctor to escape. And, when he was playing with the yo yo waiting for the Astrologer bad guy. I wondered if Tom Baker had ever played with a yo yo before that scene. He didn't seem very good at it. But then neither am I, lol. Although he IS an actor so maybe he was just acting like he wasn't very good at it. Ya never know with those clever actors. ;)

I love it when he says, " I wouldn't even say no to a salami sandwich."

I also liked it when Sarah would tweak her nose, lol.

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on April 12th, 2011, 8:37 pm

The Fourth Doctor did indeed use a yo-yo at least once before this story. It was in The Ark in Space when he is taking gravity readings or some such technobabble. :D
Prydonian

Postby MCH on April 12th, 2011, 8:58 pm

I am watching the robots of death. There is a scene where Leela is playing with the Doctor's yo yo. She thought that he had given her something important to do, lol. It was probably his way of keeping her out of his hair for a while. 8-)

I noticed that the robots in this show resemble the " heavenly host" angels of Tennant's era. Again, I think this is paying respects to the classic Who not just an attempt to copy them.

Btw Pry, how good are you with a yo yo? :D

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on April 13th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Not very good, MCH. I haven't practiced in years but was never really that good at it. :D
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Just more reasons as to why the classic Tom Baker era of "Who" is so much better than the modern series. Which is lacking in so many aspects.
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on April 25th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Finally watched this one and was very impressed, very entertained. especially when Tom uses his scarf to trip the executioneer and later when he puts a lion mask on and roars for Sarah Jane's amusement.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on April 25th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Pry,
Yes I liked Tom's rampant lion pose and roar, lol. The mask was pretty cool too. ;)

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on May 1st, 2011, 2:07 am

And how he kept on about wanting to meet Leonardo da Vinci. Classic! And Sarah was so lovely in that dress, and I enjoyed seeing the Doctor save her from the cult of Demnos by sliding her off the stone altar. Them cultists didn't even know she was gone until the knife went down! And though no doubt already mentioned, I LOVE the scene where the cult leader comes in behind the Doctor while he is leaning on the altar and playing with his yo-yo. The cultist was like, WTF? :lol:
Prydonian

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years