Lis Sladen

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Lis Sladen

Postby MCH on April 20th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Tom's newsletter regarding Liz is very touching and wonderful. I'm surprised that even he did not know of her illness. She must have kept it very private bless her heart.

The photos on the newsletter brings tears to my eyes. I liked her innocent nature and impish smile.

MCH
MCH

Postby Iain Whittaker on April 20th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Agree with Henners above. To many people I would seem ridiculously upset considering I never met or knew the real Elisabeth Sladen, but I am definitely profoundly grieved, and defiantly sad (in a quiet sort of way). This throws me back to 77 (I think that it was that year in Australia) to the end of The Hand of Fear and a distraught young self who really did not have anyone to talk to about these feelings. And now, reeling from shock, I am starting to understand on another level what it was that made me like Elisabeth Sladen and her relationship with Tom Baker so much. There was (and is) a certain kind of security in knowing that these two really did get on so well and meaningfully - a chemistry and camaraderie that survives. This underlying sense of relationship security which the lovely Elisabeth Sladen helped create as a fictional character is a wonderful achievement. Tom, if you are reading this, it relates to what you said in a DVD commentary about that man who stopped you in the street and told you how you as Dr Who made his Saturday's alone in a home (as an orphan?) "better". While I was not in such a desperate predicament as a kid, there was isolation and separation and you two did make a big difference. Thank you. Much respect. I know it is not necessary because I am sure that you will do it regardless, but keep up that fantastic humour.
Iain Whittaker

Postby Doctor John Smith on April 20th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Thank you Tom for your wonderful tribute - I'm sure Lis would be touched!
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Postby Prydonian on April 20th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Thank you for bringing the news to us, DoctorJohnSmith. I have composed a poem in honor of her onscreen persona which I hope is appropriate given the circumstances. I did not know where to post it so I put it in the Tom Baker Years section of the Forum. UPDATE: I reposted the poem in the Memoriam section of Fan Community. I hope it does its small part to help people remember the wonderful lady Lis truly was.

And yes, Tom did a superb job of writing about his relationship with her. I read his words with great interest.
Prydonian

Postby blackhawkrush on April 20th, 2011, 9:33 pm

What horrible news...I still can't believe it. She sounded so full of life on the commentaries. :cry:
blackhawkrush

Postby harryfielder on April 21st, 2011, 6:56 am

Great sadness for this lovely lady but I was lucky to work with her a few times and she was a always a great laugh. Much too young to go but we still have memories for all time....Bless you Liz and thank you...

Aitch,
harryfielder

Postby Toothy Grin on April 21st, 2011, 9:55 am

Perhaps rather fittingly Elisabeth's autobiography is released on Monday. I was going to buy it anyway but I shall be (hopefully) purchasing it on the day now.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 22nd, 2011, 12:15 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with those who have been surprised how hard they've be hit by Lis's death. I've found myself reading the news article several times because I can't quite take it in.

Apart from the wonderful childhood memories I have of her work, I always felt that she was a highly underrated actress. She gave Sarah Jane genuine emotional depth--a considerable achievement given that the companion role was often quite limited in scope, and it's something no one else has matched.

I'm delighted that she got her own starring role in recent years, and that her own show was such a great success. I would go so far as to say that, for me personally, she was as important to Doctor Who as Tom.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby MadMonk on April 23rd, 2011, 11:50 am

Time defeats us all in the end but it was way too soon for Elisabeth Sladen to be taken. Way, way too soon.
MadMonk

Postby Gham on April 24th, 2011, 12:37 pm

I was very saddened to hear the news about Lis, but there was a lovely tribute programme to her on CBBC last night and, of course, an on-screen tribute just before the start of last night's episode.

One of my earliest childhood memories is of Sarah Jane being chased through the woods by mummies in 'Pyramids of Mars' and I loved her ever since. It was great that was given the opportunity to come back with New Who (and then the SJA) and grant a whole new generation of fans the chance to see how wonderful she was.

Lis will be greatly missed and the Whoniverse will be a sadder place without her - but her memory and her work will live on forever.
Gham

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years