Leela

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Leela

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 18th, 2011, 11:15 am

Clara Listensprechen wrote:And if you want some good reading on the outrageous way foreign peoples were regarded by the British in earlier times...

Happens with every empire, I'm afraid.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on April 18th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Pedophilic tendencies? What do you mean? :? Ain't heard that one before.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 18th, 2011, 8:12 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 18th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I never considered anything of the sort before with regards to either actress and their costumes. I was too young when I would have first seen leela in the 1980s, by the 1990s ok she was hot in her leather outfit but as for Sarah Jane, I never was drawn to her like that, she was the first companion I ever saw so maybe that is why. I never was attracted to her sexually, whether pedophilic or otherwise, if that makes any sense.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 18th, 2011, 11:54 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm

In my opinion, Sarah Jane and Romana 1 were the truly best role models to the feminist movement. They were highly intelligent, witty, independent-minded, and showed great compassion for others. A far cry from "Leela" who was half naked and primitive in her thinking. Sorry but I value intellect, rational thought, and sensitivity over physicality and violence. True strength comes from the mind.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 25th, 2011, 7:59 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby metalheadjay on April 28th, 2011, 2:36 pm

"Doctor Who" has never been about just physical strength. If you want that, watch a mindless action flick where people use their brawn over their brains. The Doctor and some of his companions never wanted to resort to physical violence in any manner. They always tried to resolve things in a diplomatic, classy way. As a youth, I was so impressed by the show because it was intelligent and showed the truly best in people(The Doctor and some of his companions that is). It gave me hope in humanity. It showed me that there were intelligent people who valued peace, love, understanding, tolerance, compassion, and science. In my World, physical strength is irrelevant. True strength comes from within and that is what "Doctor Who" was and still is about.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 29th, 2011, 2:05 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby metalheadjay on May 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm

In my opinion, the switch to Leela was degrading to the feminist movement. They were basically saying that we need a half naked, overly aggressive woman to appeal to the dumbed down crowd. I don't think it was necessary in the least. I didn't mind Leela. I just feel that her character could have been written better to appeal to smarter people and as a better role model for young girls. Lis Sladen and Mary Tamm were great role models...and not just to the female audience either.

Jay
metalheadjay

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years