Stories at Tom's dinner table

Tom likes to think of his Forum as a metaphysical dinner table where friends share stories and ideas. You are invited to join the party.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Stories at Tom's dinner table

Postby Gold Usher on February 20th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Sometime in the future when we all can afford to travel again ~ and I can take a week off from work to get ready, I will host another Gather down here in Florida. Maybe by then Marcello, you can travel down with JayBee, Hypatia or the mysterious Stitch. Bonnie had planned to come down next month but that ended up with a spanner in the works from her cousin.

As far as astronomy and off world travel, I'd still like to consider heading to Luna...that I think I could fit in my schedule. Three days to get there and one to bounce around in low gravity stargazing and three days back. I hope NASA continues to find ways to get back there despite the budget crisis and cuts. I don't think I'd like the deep sleep required for a view of Pluto though the rest would do me good....but who wants to sleep their vacation away??? :shock:

I have several astronomy books around...one written in 1879 where's no mention of Pluto at all. Because it hadn't been seen yet. :)
Gold Usher

Postby MCH on April 13th, 2011, 2:56 am

Dear Gold Usher,

What did you mean in your post that, "his drawing was in Human Nature?"

MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on April 13th, 2011, 9:22 am

:D that sounds nice gold usher the bit about luna it would be great to do that one day if ever they decide to do trips to the moon id love to go as long as i knew i was coming back maybe i could train as an astronought lo :lol: :lol:
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on April 13th, 2011, 10:47 pm

I could never make it as an astronaut or moon visitor. I am terribly afraid of heights. :lol:
Prydonian

Postby MCH on April 14th, 2011, 4:26 am

Pry,
I'm afraid of heights and fascinated by them too. I have been in some squeezy places before when traveling about. I was once standing on the edge of a thousand foot cliff in Hawaii when my foot slipped out of my sandal. A sharp pointy rock dug into the bottom of my foot and made me shift my balance quickly. My hubby grabbed a hold of me to keep me from going over the edge. I would have been fine but he didn't know that. The poor guy. It took everything I had not to panic when he grabbed me. I was standing about a foot from the edge. And there are no railings or barriers there. The view from the cliff was breath taking! It was also a spot where you could see Hawaii's nude beach. The jokes on the fool standing on the cliff. The people on the beach are the size of ants.

Another time in southern Nevada we had stopped on top of a bute. The spot was called Muley point near Mokey dugway. Again no guard rails or any sort of barrier. You just stop your car on a dirt road, get out and walk where ever. There was a huge chunk of the cliff that was partially detached from the rest. I climbed on my hands and knees to get out on it and actually stood up and looked around. All the while my brains screaming at me to get down, lol. But what a view ! So exhilarating too. I wished that I had wings to fly off over the edge and soar around like the ravens were doing. Lucky birds.

I did not however like the drive down the mokey dugway. A gravel switchback road that had no guard rails. My hubby was driving, I was sitting in the passengers seat about to crawl out of my skin in fright because all I could see beyond the edge of my door was thousands of feet down. in one spot I saw the burned out husk of a tractor trailer that didn't make it. And when we got to the bottom there was a burned out and demolished car. OY! But what fun!

And the time at the north rim of the grand canyon where I walked on a trail that was only two feet wide and dropped off on both sides down five hundred feet then fell again into a seemingly bottomless pit. And, the wind was blowing pretty hard. I had to keep looking straight ahead to where I wanted to go. Only occasionally stopping and looking down and wondering if I was going to fall off. But when I got to the end of the trail which was a broader spot the view was magnificent ! Well worth the panic, lol.

However, sometimes if I'm alone and it's quiet and I think about those high times, I can't help but think I must have been completely out of my mind to do those things, lol. :lol:

MCH
MCH

Postby MCH on April 24th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Fanboy.

Is there a word for female fans? Seriously. Tom has seen for himself how many of his fans are women. But we are not "fanboys." So ladies, what are we?

How about estrofans! Lol Or perhaps fan femmes. Femfans ? Wofans?

What do you think?

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 24th, 2011, 7:38 pm

I think fans are fans regardless of gender. For every fan boy there's gotta be at least one fan girl. Fans are fans are fans. ;)
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Moderator on August 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I like Pattie Anne's "fans and fannies", myself. Though, she probably heard it from someplace else. Like from an American stand-up comic, maybe, perhaps.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby merlinsseer on August 8th, 2011, 4:57 am

I never much cared for the word " fan " , it reminds me far too much of the word " fanatic", which in turn brings up bad visions of walls covered with posters,bedding and pajamas that are never washed for fear of fading and the inability to think about anything outside of the object of ones fanatical obsession
I prefer to think of myself as being a great admirer of Tom Baker as a performer and a person.I'm sure Tom Baker would argue that since I really don't know him as a person , how can I admire him ? I would argue back that I just do and there it is, so don't argue with me.
Would I steal Tom Baker's coat or pen when he wasn't looking ? Yes, yes I would. But that does not make me a fan. It makes me a pen thief and a slightly deranged person that wonders what it feels like to wear Tom's coat. :lol:
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby MCH on August 8th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Speaking of obsessions. When I walk at a park in the mornings I see a man walking with golfing gloves on and carrying a golf club. He also wears a golfing type hat. Some mornings he wears a bandage on one knee. Other mornings it is on the opposite knee.

I had the occasion to briefly speak to him recently and I asked him why he carried the club. His response was that he liked doing so. That brought to mind another occasion while walking when a man would bounce a tennis ball as he walked. When I enquirered as to why he did that he said that it gave him something to do while walking.

Many people walk with little gizmos in their ears listening to whatever they choose. Some just walk with their thoughts. I'm one of the latter though I'm thinking of getting something to help pass the time as everyone is so busy out there walking in a loop that no one speaks to you. And my thoughts are getting boring, lol.
MCH

PreviousNext

Return to Dinner Table Talk