Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 10th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Yes, I remember that scene. It was when the Doctor himself was ordered to turn out his own pockets. There was a different scene where some guy was in the room alone and rifled through the pockets. But it's been so long ago I'm at a loss for exact details.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on April 11th, 2011, 12:05 am

I'm surprised that some things didn't crawl out of his pockets on their own, lol.

Tennant's doctor went through some stuff that he had collected over the years. Matt's did too when he used that recognition gizmo to find out what the invisible creature was that was running around where Vincent VanGogh lived. When he was testing the device he used it to identify himself. It showed pictures of his former incarnations.

The Doctor is always pulling things out from strange places, lol. I bet his dimension pockets were such that he just had to think of an item and it would come to his hand. Well, that is if the item was in his pocket to begin with. I think he's a closet hoarder. And what a place to have to hoard things! His pockets and the tardis. No wonder he hated to eject parts of the TARDIS. And, when the TARDIS crashed landed at the beginning of Matts reign he had been dumped into the swimming pool, ah... The bath, lol. And said that it was in the library? :? But that was some crash. Geronimo ! Yes, I went there, lol. :P

I need to watch some more classic who.

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 11th, 2011, 2:51 am

Me too, but I'm still discovering how difficult it is to view the classics online. People who are not Tom offer the series but not without spamming you to give THEM money for one thing or another before they'll let you watch much. It's angervating.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 13th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Moneygrabbers. They should be avoided at all costs.
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 13th, 2011, 11:01 pm

If you are in the USA, I can recommend netflix, they carry a ton of Who on DVD, from all 11 of them and have started adding them to their instant view section.

I've been using them to catch up on my Hartnell and Troughton stories, as well as rewatching some of my favorites and may son has been working his way through every story that has Dalek in the title.
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 13th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Very helpful. Am in the process of refreshing my memory as we speak. Thanks!
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 17th, 2011, 11:08 pm

I just buy mine from the Mall. But lately they have had some trouble getting the new titles in on time. I have not bought one there in ages. The last title I got was The Seeds of Doom. I have still only seen Episode One. I should point out that that was when I was ill a while back.So I was watching things at random and not always finishing them in proper order. I still have not gotten Meglos. That one was, you guessed it, late to arrive in store and on the shelf.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on April 18th, 2011, 1:57 am

Pry, I saw one at a store called "Best Buy" the other day. Meglos, that is. I nearly fell over when I saw one of the episodes for 34 dollars. That's a lot of dosh for one episode! And other ones were twenty dollars. That would cost hundreds of dollars to just get each episode that Mr. Tom was in. :shock:

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on April 18th, 2011, 11:15 pm

The ones here are rather expensive as well. $25 for single disc releases, $35 for double disc releases, and anywhere from $50-$100 for box sets. Some are marked down but not by a lot.
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on April 18th, 2011, 11:43 pm

I think another major factor in his popularity is Tom's magnificent voice which he used to great effect, whether it's a funny quip like the "Arrest the scarf then!" line in "The Leisure Hive", a more serious bit of dialogue like the "Homo sapiens" speech in "The Ark In Space" or even saying a simple "Hello"....even the most ridiculous bit of made up scientific jargon sounds plausible when Tom says it.

A few years back a show called "Dead Ringers" did a sketch where impressionist Jon Culshaw dressed up as Tom and interviewed the man himself. During the conversation he said "We've got the best voice in the world haven't we?" and Tom cracked up laughing.

He wasn't wrong :)
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years