Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Why is the Fourth Doctor so great?

Postby Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Rose was a good idea starting out, on paper and in the earlier episodes, but left a bland aftertaste in my mouth shortly after. her story arc was complete but they ruined it I feel by bringing her back in Series 4. No companion before or since has been given such consideration, for lack of a better word. And if anyone deserved it, then Sarah Jane or Leela or even Romana I sure did. The new series has yet to reach the heights of what Tom accomplished.
And oh my yes, jelly babies are great, Ive had a variation of it and no wonder Tom's Dr enjoyed them in the series.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 4th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Definitely. The next time Matt Smith's Doctor yells to the skies, "what am I missing? What am I overlooking?" I'm going to yell at the screen "JELLY BABIES! JELLY BABIES!!!" :mrgreen:
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:45 pm

My he does overlook a lot, doesn't he? :mrgreen:

In all fairness he is still getting used to the part. It was said long ago that it takes an actor more than just 1 year to get used to playing the Doctor. I wonder if that's true? :D
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on April 10th, 2011, 9:03 am

Nah, the Jelly babies belong to Tom's doctor. I don't think any of the recent incarnations want to totally rip him off although a clear case of that can be made for David Tennant. ;)
metalheadjay

Postby tch on April 10th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Jelly babies aren't a 'ripping off of a previous Doctor', just a nice bit of carry over from Doctor to Doctor. Like most of them liking tea or having a sonic screwdriver.
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 10th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Didn't Pertwee's Doctor snack on jelly babies? Or am I mis-remembering?

If they're exclusive to Tom's Doctor, then the Doctor isn't the Doctor in all incarnations, is he.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby tch on April 10th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Troughton's Doctor had a bag of sweets, but not sure if they were jelly babies.
Pertwee was more a wine and cheese kind of guy.
tch

Postby MCH on April 10th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Despite his looks the Doctor isn't getting any younger. Even Matt Smiths Doctor said that he was an old man in a cool package. Or some such. Maybe more like, don't let the cool package fool you, I'm very old. :?
The thing is that with over 900 years of information in his head the poor Doctor would have a hard time recalling things instantaneously. I think Matt does a great job balancing being an ancient guy in a new young man suit. :D

I have been rewatching some of Tom's Doctor Who shows. I realize now that a lot of his humor zoomed at light speed past my brain pan. In places where I thought he was serious it was actually funny. I have to admit that British humor has that effect on me. Anyway, I am enjoying 'getting it' the more I watch them. Hmm, that's probably the same effect his wit has on his foes. Keep them baffled and spinning in circles. I wouldn't have stood a chance! Lol.
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 10th, 2011, 10:21 pm

I've noticed the body age trend in the revival series, actually--from Eccleston to Smith, it's been progressively younger. Perhaps that fling at the "not really a chapel" incident (and all that football) was just hormones the Doctor hadn't been used to in a few hundred years. Or maybe he was enjoying being free from arthritis. I can only guess.

And one can only guess at how much of Tom's Doctor's wit was writing, Tom's collaborations with the writers, or Tom's own improv. I expect it was a mixture of all three, with Tom's impeccable delivery in each case, making the script and the Doctor his very own. I do credit the writers fully for things like that imprisonment...let's see, was that Genesis of the Daleks? I think so...where a captor was going through the pockets of his coat and produced just an apple core and a bag of jelly babies. The Doctor was in dire straits but there was that chuckle.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 10th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Regadring that scene in Genesis of the Daleks, Tom's Doctor actually put more stuff on the table, in addition to the apple core and bag of jelly babies. I believe there was a yo-yo (used in The Ark in Space to nice effect) and other things. The general idea was he had LOTS of things crammed into his multi-dimensional pockets. :lol:
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years