Great time to be a Tom Baker fan!

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Great time to be a Tom Baker fan!

Postby Toothy Grin on March 31st, 2011, 2:44 pm

Aren't we Tom Baker fans lucky at the moment? Not since Tom was playing Doctor Who on TV has he had such involvement with the show and been so accessible (in fact with this website he's more accessible than ever!). He's been doing quite a lot of interviews in the last few years, the specualtion about his return to the tv series in some capacity is becoming more likely, there's all the DVD commentaries he's done, we've had 2 series of audio adventures with BBC books and coming soon we've got 18 audio adventures for Big Finish! Plus we had Tom's wonderful calendar last year. The other day I was browsing a book store and found a new book on ghosts in England where Tom had written the introduction (it's called "Haunted Britain" and the first couple of pages have a fantastic piece written by Tom with some great new photos of him too!). It seems like he's everywhere, especially when you compare this to his elusiveness in the 80's-90's.
Not only are we now living in a real golden age for Doctor Who fans, with the show being more popular than ever, and all the DVD releases, audio releases, magazines, books, toys etc, but Tom seems to be enjoying a huge comeback. Lucky us! :D
Toothy Grin

Re: Great time to be a Tom Baker fan!

Postby tracy on March 31st, 2011, 2:51 pm

:D yes tom seems very busy of late the book you are talking about was mentioned in one of toms news letters im going to get that when i venture in to town next time as i aint been for ages all it needs now is for tom to do a shop signing and i will be there
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 12:27 am

Indeed, Tom is enjoying a 'second coming' of interest in the annals of Whodom, and proves he is as full of staying power as when he was at the height of his game in the late 70s series. This site really adds to the fun, as well as everything else listed in the OP's post.
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on April 3rd, 2011, 6:26 am

I think the 1970's has been seen for quite some time now as the greatest decade in terms of pop and subculture. There is alot of nostalgia and love for that decade among all ages. For many people, Tom and Classic Doctor Who represent something very special and meaningful. The 70's were a decade when seemingly almost everything worked and quite well. That is why he and the classic show are so popular. Anything of substance will always have lasting appeal. Now, with the wonderful Worldwide Web..there is more access to information and we get to actually communicate with the great man himself. If there is one thing I love about our modern World...it's the advancement of technology. Although that can still be seen as good or bad. Just depends. ;)
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 5th, 2011, 9:54 pm

metalheadjay wrote:I think the 1970's has been seen for quite some time now as the greatest decade in terms of pop and subculture. There is alot of nostalgia and love for that decade among all ages. For many people, Tom and Classic Doctor Who represent something very special and meaningful. The 70's were a decade when seemingly almost everything worked and quite well. That is why he and the classic show are so popular. Anything of substance will always have lasting appeal. Now, with the wonderful Worldwide Web..there is more access to information and we get to actually communicate with the great man himself. If there is one thing I love about our modern World...it's the advancement of technology. Although that can still be seen as good or bad. Just depends. ;)

I both agree and disagree with this. For me, the seventies produced both some of the best and the very worst of almost everything.

Often, the really terrible stuff falls into the 'so bad it's good' category for those who grew up in that era.

There's no doubt, though, that the seventies was a golden decade for Dr Who, and TV drama/sci-fi.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 11:04 pm

It is sad that after such a high profile decade for Who that the following decade was wrought with such controversies surrounding the series.
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on April 7th, 2011, 12:13 am

Speaking as a relatively new fan of Tom and the show in general it seems like my timing for choosing to explore the show's past was good.

My issues with the revived show are such that I refuse to watch it again but the popularity of it has meant an increase in the amount of Classic merchandise so I've got plenty of other ways of getting my Who "fix".

Tom has even returned to the role for BBC Audios and will do so again soon for Big Finish which is the real icing on the cake :)
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on April 7th, 2011, 1:11 am

While I like how the new series has created the next generation of Who fans, I'm doing the happy dance that it's gotten the BBC to release all the old stuff on DVD.

Just got the Paul Mcgann movie DVd. Never thought I'd see that happen. Not to mention all the Hartnell and Troughton episodes I've gotten to see.

and very happy that BF finally wore down Tom to do some stories.
Now, how long before we get a BF version of the Five Doctors?
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 7th, 2011, 2:26 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm

It is such a great time for me to be a Who fan as I seem to dream a LOT about the series and the various Doctors and companions. But Tom's Doctor holds a special place in my hearts so whenever I dream of him it makes the dream extra special. We as fans are blessed to live in an internet age where Tom and other fans are only a few clicks away, as compared to the good old days of the 70s and 80s when fanzines were the main way to keep people posted on the news, and we had to rely on books and edited VHS Casettes as a way to relive favorite TV adventures.
Prydonian

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years