Genesis of the Daleks question

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Genesis of the Daleks question

Postby Wonkakid on March 23rd, 2011, 2:28 pm

I was re-watching this episode last night (it's one of my absolute favorites -- along with Face of Evil and Talons of Weng-Chiang) and something occurred to me. When Davros and Nyder go to the Thal city and give the Thals the formula to weaken the Kaled dome, why does their Thal contact then arrange for their safe passage out of the city? Where are they expected to go? Back to the Kaled city? I suppose they could head back to the bunker but why? Why not simply have them stay in the Thal city? Anyone care to help me with this?

Rob
Chicago, USA (not the Thal city ;-)).
Wonkakid

Re: Genesis of the Daleks question

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 24th, 2011, 1:25 am

I love Genesis - one of the best.

Can't help you out with the plot question though...I suspect if you analyse them, most stories have some plot holes. Often the show was done quick and dirty, and long before anyone thought we'd be watching them repeatedly on DVD etc.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby metalheadjay on March 29th, 2011, 11:39 pm

I think "Genesis Of The Daleks" is THE absolute best Doctor Who story ever! If people aren't familiar with the series and want to check it out...that is the story I point them too first.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 3rd, 2011, 3:14 am

With regard to plot holes, the biggest one is Davros getting zapped by his own Dalek...and then shows up in a Tenth Doctor grand finale.

That was a serious moral-of-the-story in Genesis which was quite diminished (forgotten? swept under?) by the latter day Doctor production (conclusion of which rather repeated the same thing albeit less effectively).
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

Davros was always good at coming back from the seeming 'dead.' Nothing too suprising there, though I understand where you're coming from.
Last edited by Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby Wonkakid on April 4th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I wonder/suspect that since he was at least party cybernetic, the Dalek death ray would have less effect than on truly living organisms. Also, I suspect his chair had built-in life-preserving capabilities.

On the other hand, I may be analyzing this far more than I should be.
Wonkakid

Postby Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Not at all, it is a fact that davros loses his basic humanity over the course of the original series (five appearances in all) and his one appearance in New Who. There is very little of the original self left by the time we see him on TV . So you are absolutely correct.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years